sky+ (Digital conversion) via Onkyo 706

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by samraj, Feb 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. samraj

samraj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've connected my Sky+ via digital convertor and feed component inputs to the amplifier. I am having problems as the screen keeps changing the aspect ratio and screen keeps going blank very irritatingly- Sony 40W4500 . Pls advice if I should change the way I connect to the amp or if changing setting should help. I've also just placed an order for the SKY HD box which I won't be getting for atleast 3 months.

2. chilipepper195

chilipepper195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is this only when you change channel/when the programming on a certain channel changes or does it just happen completely randomly while watching something?

Go into the HDMI Menu (Hardware Setup > HDMI) and set the Output Resolution to Through and set the Zoom Mode to Normal. If they are already set as this or the problem continues go into the Sky menu and go to System Setup > Picture Settings and make sure its set to 16:9 and also make sure your TV hasn't got automatic aspect ratio turned on.

If the problem still continues are there any other inputs still having this problem and, if so, how are they connected?

Also, what exactly do you mean by its connected using a 'digital converter' - is that just the audio?

3. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886
    you're not achieving anything by having your sky video through your amp unless you're using the amp as a switcher. If you can put sky directly to the tv I would say do that. Otherwise as above, change your HDMI setting to Through

4. jet3d

jet3d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    do i take you are using something to convert the s-video to to component (red, green and blue rca)?

or do you mean you are using 'composite' (red, white and yellow rca)...

if using composite try s-video direct to amp instead

5. samraj

samraj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am using (CSY-2100 / SCART to Y-U-V Converter) - it upconverts the RGB out of SKY+ for the component inputs. I was using this convertor to feed my old plasma which didn't have the scart inputs. I would like to use the amp as my switcher.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. chilipepper195

chilipepper195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You don't need a converter box. The Onkyo should do that for you. Just plug it in directly to the Sky box using composite cables or S-video from the amp. You can then attach component or S-video cables from the amp to the TV and output it through that or just use an HDMI. It might not look too great through HDMI as it will highlight the poor quality of composite cables but if its only temporary until you get Sky HD you might be able to live with it.