Sky Digital connected to phone line...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by beavis, May 3, 2002.

1. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

Due to get Sky digital very soon, but never understood this 'keep the box connected to the phone line for 12 months'. Does the installer physically connect the phone line in? Can you remove it after installation?

Confused!

B.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to have a phone point 'near' the installation of the digi box. It must be working.

When we moved into a new house the BT engineer was late to put the extension in, and the digibox engineer refused to install it until there was a line phone line.

I unwound a 10metre extension plug and told him to get on with it.

Once installed you don;t technically have to have it plugged in all the time, but it does dial into Sky daily (or at least try to). It handles things like Pay Per View etc along with other maintenance type things but I don't know any specifics.

If you went for TiVo, a phone line is a nessecity as it downloads programming updates daily.

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with everything Sky, it depends on your install engineer. I just told the bloke I didn't want to use the interactive stuff and he just shrugged, said 'Fine' and just installed the box anyway.

The reason you're *supposed* to have it connected to the phone line for 12 months is that the company that makes revenue from the interactive services subsidises the boxes with Sky on the understanding that you WILL connect to the phone line. Their thinking is that if you're already connected and hit a button you will dial up... loads of people do it by mistake and don't realise it's costing them money til it's too late.

With business practices like that, it's easy to see why people simply refuse to connect it in the first place.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had it installed last week. Told the engineer I was going to fit a phone extension cable outside the house rather than trailed across the room so he put a big cable on it and drilled the hole big enough for the phone cable to go next to the dish cable.

I had no intention of keeping it connected to the phone and he probably realised that because he said that it doesn't matter if it's not connected to the phone as long as you're not using interactive or ppv movies!

5. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought that the sky box connected to sky every night to send information regarding viewing patterns? I understood that this information was then used for direct marketting. I.E. if you watch the free 10 minute pr0n preview you will get junk mail for it :D

Never used sky so I dunno if thats true, just thought I read somewhere that this is what they did.

6. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i kept mine connected to the phone line for one year, then when the one year contract was up, i disconnected the phone cable. Anyway, when i phoned SKY to confirm this action, they told me that they didnt have my home number on their system, so the box never got through to SKY headquarter in the year it was connected! ( was installed by independant dealer when i moved into my house)

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The box attempts to dial out once a month during the night, if the line is engaged it will try again until it gets through. IF SKY run a check while you are in the first 12 months of the subsidised contract and the digibox hasn't connected then they are within their rights to bill you £80 (I think thats the amount) as written in the T&C's. If you order and use PPV then the digibox will need to dial out to register the purchase, if I can't do this then the cards credit limit will be reached and further purchases will be impossible.

SKY DO NOT collect marketing data on a standard digibox installation however the T&C's of SKY+ does give them this option.
    I assume unless you specifically allow SKY to pass this data onto a third party then it will only be used inhouse.

8. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    beavis

This is so that you can take advantage of things like Open and other interactive stuff on Skydigital. Also means you can order Box office films from your remote rather than having to call up.
    I think you can disconnect however the engineer will still install with the cabling all the way to the phone.