1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Digital and Widescreen

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by kenwilkinson, Jun 4, 2002.

1. kenwilkinson

kenwilkinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of moving away from my analogue cable company and subscribing to Sky Digital. One of the reasons for this is that the cable system doesn't show widescreen programs in widesceen format.

I know that Sky has a widescreen movie channel but do many of the other channels available on Sky transmit at least some of their programs in widescreen format.

Any thoughts on the general picture quality either widescreen or otherwise on Sky digital.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Apart from the widescreen Movie channel Sky do not transmit any other of their channels in widescreen, there are other tv companys who transmit in widescreen, for example

All of the channels by BBC, depending on the age of programming.
    All of the ITV Channels depending on programming, some American shows like The Xfiles and 24 are in widescreen.
    I beleive the new Star Trek series "Enterprise" was filmed in widescreen but SkyOne transmit it in 4:3.
    Basically Sky are not that interested in Widescreen :(
    Picture quality seems pretty good to me, even on my 80" wide projection screen.

3. kenwilkinson

kenwilkinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply Tim. Are you saying that should I go to Sky and I receive the BBC and ITV channels through the digibox that any widescreen programs on those channels will be displayed in widescreen format. That at least would be a small step forward because that doesn't happen through my cable connection.

Ken

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    Channel 4 show some programs in W/S, generally films, they started showing Smallville in that format but stopped half way through. I have seen a couple off W/S films on Ch5 (although I hardly watch it). And TMC show some films in W/S even in there true ratio but is not anamorphic.
    As to why are Sky not supporting W/S, I don’t know! as they can transmit in this format, and viewers can set the boxes to receive 4:3 if they want.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes :)

6. Griggsy

Griggsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Also if you subscribe to Sky Sports, most of the major live sporting events are now broadcast in widescreen (premiership football, rugby, cricket etc).

7. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taking up Garrett's point- when I initially had Sky installed I had a 4:3 tv. The engieer set my digibox to he pan and scan setting. Obviously I reset it to letterbox straight away. However, he point is that if this is standard practice then they would not get complaints from 4:3 viewers as they probably would not even be aware that a widescreen picture was broadcast. 4:3 owners who were cinema fans could enjoy the widescreen picture just by resetting there digibox.
    Widescreen broadcast should make everybody happy.
    I find it really annoying that there is so much hype about buying a wdesreen tv. I like having one because I have a dvd collection. The majority of the public would be better off with a 4:3.