Sky Digital and Scart quality?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by CouchPotato, Feb 27, 2002.

1. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Ive recently upgraded to sky digital and i am very impressed with the picture quality.

As sky uses mpeg encoding would a better scart lead between the digibox and tv make any difference to picture quality or is the encoding the limiting factor and not scart quality?

im currently using, panasonic db31 digibox, tosh 32zp, and standart scarts that came with the box.

I realise for DVD better cables = better picture quality.

thanks in advance for any help.

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Highly unlikely u would gain anything but it is all very subjective. Try and borrow a high quality scart and see if there is any difference. If you are going to a DVD in the future then u could by new scart lead in advance. I am sceptical about all these claims so if u do change the SCART and it makes a big DIFFERENCE let me know.

gbmitie

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would also be interested in the answer to that question...

Cheers then!
    ;)

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quality shielded scart will make a difference if you have lots of wires behind the tv and you have quite a poor scart to begin with.

However, the differences will only tend to be noticeable on the larger television sets due to the larger picture making it more obvious.

5. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys guys.

As im going to get a composite connected DVD player i would only ever use the scart to scart cable for my digibox.

As there may be little difference in the picture quality due to mpeg compression i was considering the lektropacks SCART to SCART (PSL24 - one way- prolink series) @£24.

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/acatalog/Lektropacks_Online_Prolink_Cables_23.html

Has anyone tried these cables before, are they worth buying?

I dont think i can justify a [email protected]£50 just for the digibox. Please correct me if you think i am wrong.

regards

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are you going to get a dvd player and connect it up using composite?

The tv you have has component video inputs, so the Tosh 210e (IIRC) has component video output and is a damn fine dvd player.

If you are going to view the dvds via composite, i wouldn't bother spending any money on a scart lead as it would be like giving a rusty car a wax and shine expecting it to look perfect.

7. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes of course you are correct doubledoom.....i hadnt had my morning cuppa and got my C's mixed up.

I meant im going to use component not composite!.. i was actually thinking of getting the 210e too.

Has anyone used scart cables from lektropacks? they seem to be built to a very high standard at a very reasonable price.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    The difference between these Scart cables are relatively minor, once you are into the properly screened, 75 ohm cable. The best I have seen is the £80 IXOS, followed by QED and IXOS (£40- £50 ones). To be honest the expensive ones aren't really worth the extra outlay but many people seem happy with them here. The rate limiting step is the Scart connector IMHO. All the leads have these. The standard supplied Scarts are iify in quality, poorly screened and are easily upgraded. The prowire would be my basic recommendations but I would push to the IXOS gold series if poss. Quite frankly I am really not bothered by playing around with decent quality Scart leads, it is no going to dramatically effect performance. This really isn’t an issue, just look for 75 ohm and quality screening.

If you are planning a 210 and have a Tosh component ready TV, avoid the Scart and use the three wire component connection. Much better picture and cheaper to connect! Component connections are the way to go.

If you connect you DVD with component connections this leaves the TV’s RGB Scart free for SKY Digital. VCRs and other non digital cable boxes are composite.

9. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nic,

That was a very helpful and informative post. I think i shall purchase the lektropacks prolink scart as it will only ever be used for the digibox. (+ lectropack got a best buy with whatvideotv.com for the price)

I cant really justfiy a £40-£50 spend on this particular scart connection as i feel the sky mpeg compression is a more limiting factor on the image quality than the scart cable. (i mean you dont buy the best computer monitor/cable in the world to view compressed gif and jpeg web site images, do you)

When i get my 210e dvd player i shall buy high quality component and optical cables.

for those interested i will post my observations on quality improvement with the lektropacks cable. -if there is any

best regards