Sky Digital and high winds

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RMCF, Feb 21, 2002.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    We have been having some fairly strong winds over the last few days and I noticed that I am getting artefacting and lip sync problems with my picture when there is a gust. Is this common to minidishs or does mine need tightened?

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how exposed it is to gusts. It may need tightening but I doubt it, it's probably just in a place where the wind hits it. Ha ve a look around and see if there is a better place for it.

3. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    It could be your dish is being moved by the wind, or maybe if it's mounted on a tallish pole, the pole is flexing under the wind. Other things, like a big tree being blown could interfere if it gets blown across where the dish is looking at.

4. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, but not just the wind, the rain frequently causes loss of signal, something that never happens on ITV Digital.

5. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've had problems with Sky News when it was very windy, the picture kept freezing. It was just like a dirty DVD. Everything's OK now the wind's died down.

Neil
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    I have never had a problem with rain, no matter how heavy. Its just this week with the wind, but admittedly it is damn strong!! I spoke to my installer and he assures me that it is as tight as it'll go. He says that if it shakes by 1cm it will cause the picture to go. Mine is on the back wall of my house about 15ft up. And there are no houses around - nothing to break up the wind. Ah well, it not that often we get winds like that. Just one of the limitations of satellite TV.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it's a great platform but you can't do the impossible and 99% of the time we don't have weather like that. I must say that my dish is sheltered so never gets affected by gales.

8. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A had a few problems (with rain) about 3 or so break ups within a month, I got sky back out and he found that the original installer had made a bodge of putting the plug onto the cable from the dish, he changed the plug & it upped the single strength by a small amount - since then ive only had 1 weather problem in 15months. It may be worth checking out.