1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Digibox with D/D Output??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by NPM108, Jan 20, 2005.

1. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can't seem to find this in the Forum Search, but is there a Sky Digibox which has either a Coxial or Opitcal Output for transporting sound to the A/V Receiver. I am seeing programmes as being transmitted in Dolby Digital but with no Digital Out on my current box, No Joy!

Or is this reserved for the Sky+ service only for some reason?

Thanks,

Nick

2. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i believe some of the sony's did have it then it got disabled in later versions. but in general they don't have it...

one of the beauties of Sky+

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Sky+ owners only. I have a Sony box with working optical out but box will not output DD which is very annoying!
    Its just another reason to get SKY+ as long as you don't mind the monthly outlay of course. Id have SKY+ but only require the £19.95 package so I'm not willing to pay the extra £10 pm or subscribe to more than one Premium channel.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Dolby Digital is only available on Sky Movies 1, 2, 3 & 4, and on a few Disney Channel programmes, so the £10 a month extra would not apply if you subscribed to these channels.

5. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for the clarification. Disappointing, but Sky Reality I guess!! :)

6. stonking

stonking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Was it a physical thing they did to the boxes or via software?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    As I understand it the SONY models never were able to access DD at any time and at some point that optical output was totally disabled on one of the models until it was "switched on" via a software upgrade after the model had been in the supply chain for a good while.
    There is still the question of the SONY being actually physically capable of accessing a DD audio track, SKY+ has a Dolby labelled chip (licensed technology) but I've never had a close look to see if the SONY has one as well.

My guess (and it is a guess) is that SONY slapped the optical output on their hardware to raise it's value when being sold to SKY (which also persuade SKY to ditch SONY due to costs) but never intended to support DD audio since it wasn't being used when the SONYs were in production.

8. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starburst,

I think it was the opposite of what you said. Sony techies and marketing men forgot to ask the lawyers. Sky released new tech specs for doing optical out and Sony thought it would give them a marketing advantage which would carry over into people buying Sony AV components. Sony built it, but Sky said excuse us, you'll need a license if you want to do DD and we're not licensing it without Sky+. Sony were mighty peeved and stopped making the box.

(I have a sony box, and it does do digital out, but not 5.1)

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY do license the right to broadcast Dolby but I would have thought the actual right to build the support into hardware would be with the manufacturer and then they would be compensated by the retail and wholesale price.

I find it hard to believe that any department/division within SONY could design and build a STB and no one thought to license the technology being used:)

Either way SONY stopped production or SKY ended the contract the result was the same. A STB which had unique styling and had the best "name" left the supply chain and quite frankly SKY could have benefited from having a big name like that involved long term especially if they could teach them something about quality control!

10. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    All the sony boxes in the Uk were not originally designed for Sky and had been marketed elsewhere in europe as digi boxes (using the optical output). Instead of getting 1000's manufactured without it (as Sky wouldn't let them have this feature), they just disabled it instead.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    i have a sony and Thomson box. The Thomson has better picture quality but i was going to ditch it as the sony had the optical output. Does that output work at all or does it just not out put DD?

I dont get the movies channels as they are imo terrible.

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some Sony boxes output stereo from the optical output, and some don't work at all. You can only find out by trial and error.

13. Stevvie

Stevvie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had one of these sony box's as a secondary box to my multiroom sky+ setup. I have plugged it into my DD amp just out of curosity. It only ever output stereo. Even on a film on sky 1+2+3 that had the DD sign.