Sky digibox to freeview

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gf1, Oct 19, 2005.

1. gf1

gf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This site looks like the kind of place where I get the answer!

I have a Sky digibox (Sony) which I am trying to transform into a freeview box (I now have a Sky+ box so this one is no longer of use). So I am plugging it into the TV aerial, but it says 'no sattelite signal being received'.
    Is this a problem with my aeial not being a digital aerial? Or is it no possible to transform a Sky digibox into a freeview box?
    I should also point out that I do not have a viewing card into my box (i.e. it is now in the Sky+ box) - do I need to purchase a Freeview card?? :confused:

If this is not possible - was told it was - I will simply go out to purchase a new Freeview box. I just wanted to make use of my Sky digibox.

2. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Can't be done. The Sky digibox is a satellite receiver and has no terrestrial (DTT) reception capability.

You could, however, use the old Sky digibox as a freesat receiver if you run a cable from one of the spare outputs on your new quad LNB to wherever you are going to use the old box.

That would allow you to watch all the FTA satellite channels from the satellites at 28.2E - but NOT ITV1/2 (they're FTV at the moment and won't go FTA until next year) or Channel 4 of five (both of which will remain encrypted at least until 2007).

You could buy a freesat card for £20 if you think it's worth it to receive those few extra channels.

3. gf1

gf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right thanks - however I assume that for this I need to be plugged into a mini dish - which is not a possibility in my building

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    It needs to be plugged into the LNB on the dish...it won't work otherwise.