1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky digibox options - SCART to RGB output?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Geeenius, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Geeenius

Geeenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new plasma screen which means I notice the poor quality of the sky picture more than I used to. I would like to use the RGB output from the Sky box and output this to the plasma display. From what I read so far, I have a few options; get some form of SCART connector/convertor to give me a s-video or component video output (the plasma screen has many input options) OR get one of the Grundig digiboxes (ditching my current Pace digibox) to get its inbuilt s-video output. I would prefer s-video so that I can use my amp to route the video to the display. Can anyone give me their thoughts? Are there any cheap SCART to S-video convertors? Is there any other SCART convertors that will output the RGB signal OK? Does anyone have good/bad things to say about the Grundig digibox options?

Sorry about all the words - I hope it makes sense!

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi welcome to the forums.

can you tell us what plasma you have as it might be easyier for someone to answer?
    :)

3. Geeenius

Geeenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome. I have a NEC 42MP2 plasma display which seems to have a whole range of RGB input options using different connectors. I could output the Sky video direct to the display using these or try to get everything into the display from my Yamaha amp (will check model) using s-video.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'll move this to plasma. May get more response there. :)

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your highest quality option is not the s-video route, but it'll sure make life easy for any non-tech heads in the household! BTW take that word 'cheap' out of your post and get real! you've got a £4k display and you want the best, not the cheapest, rgb to s-vid converter! S-video often looks pretty good with digital TV in fact, I'd use one of these They are clearly superior. You could also then use the rgb passs through to connect a rgb and synch on composite cable for highest quality and best price (about 40 ish from Lecktropaks) though they require a bit of farting about in the setup menus to get it working. How much difference you'd see could start a thread that would run for months...

6. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think "cost effective" might be a better term. If anyone who has have read my myriad posts in Amplifiers and Recievers and General Hardware will see that I am going through the same issues.

What amplifier are you using? After this weekend I will know whether it possible to switch RGB+comp sync through my Denon 1803, which might be a more preferable option to you. This will give me the best quailty output from my Sky box and DVD player. Buying an RGB to component converter can always remain an option for the future.

BTW. Not all Grundig digiboxes have S-video out. Mine doesn't - just composite and RGB-s via the SCART sockets.