Sky Digibox losing settings

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Chromatron, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Chromatron

Chromatron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Although I use Freeview as my primary broadcast TV source, I have a Sony VTX-S760U Sky Digibox (though no longer a subscription) for the odd occasions when impulse interference from badly suppressed farm machinery disrupts DTT reception.

I believe in switching things off when not in use but the problem with my Sony Digibox is that it loses its settings when power is interrupted, even briefly. It has always done this, but when I had just a 4:3 TV with only a PAL composite feed this didn't matter because they are the defaults. Now I have to reset to 16:9 and RGB every time I switch it on.

I'd be very grateful to know whether anyone else has had experience of this problem, either with Sony Digiboxes or any other make.

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Maybe you could use a universal remote and program it with a "macro" that puts it back to your desired settings?

Of course, the problem you'll get with keeping it powered down is that it could miss a card update or a firmware update. Either scenario could cause you considerable grief as the box won't recognise the (Freesat) card.

3. Chromatron

Chromatron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Sam. The universal remote idea is certainly an intriguing work-around, though I'm still wondering why my Digibox loses its settings when, presumably, other people's don't.

I tend to switch it on several evenings a week, and it rarely loses the FTV channels - on the odd occasion that it does I leave it on overnight until they're restored. On very rare occasions I'll do a forced firmware download.

Apart from my aversion to leaving anything on unnecessarily, I live in a very rural area where the mains supply is somewhat unpredictable. The voltage is quite high, typically 248v, and spikes, surges and sags are not uncommon. In my experience, modern PSUs can be quite fragile in these conditions - I much prefer a nice chunky mains transformer. Surge limiters help but aren't a total answer.

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    You could use a UPS but, of course, it's not 100% efficient (more energy wastage) and it's one more thing to go wrong!

5. Chromatron

Chromatron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've thought about getting a UPS, or perhaps several, one for every room with electronic equipment. I could even get a big one and install a "clean" ring main!