1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Digibox Extra Connection

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MikeNolan, Dec 31, 2004.

1. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rcently had a Sky+ box installed. I now have a redundant old digi-box that would be nice to have in the bedroom. I do not want to pay £10 per month on Sky multi service!!. How easy is it to connect the old box up to the dish or is it a job for the pros. Could I split from an existing cable?

Thanks
    Emel

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's easy IF you have good access to the dish/lnb.
    You need some CT100 sat cable, couple of F connectors and some tape to seal the joints. Just remove the cover from a spare LNB output, connect the cable and run it to the second digibox and then connect it up.
    It's that simple:)

However it is easy to knock the dish out of alignment or slightly move the LNB, that may not totally remove the signal but it could disrupt/degrade it especially during bad weather.

You can split a single cable but it is a far from practical solution as a digibox sends commands to the LNB when switching channels, having two digiboxes sending commands to one LNB means at anyone time half the channels will be missing.

3. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Starburst, correct me if im wrong but how would you view anything without a second card ? Unless you remove it as and when... I have just self installed 2 extra cables from my lnb into a new conservatory. My sky + will live there but when we have kids visiting etc I wanted to be able to banish them to the living room with the old box. Is there any way to get the signal through to there without a card ? Hpoe this makes sense :thumbsup:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you will get FTA channels without a card BBC and some others (not much good tho) but with a freesat card £20 from SKY IIRC you will get FTV cannels ITV and CH4 five etc

5. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks hornydragon - just seen this in a reply by Nick Uk. Best answer for me and what I was looking for. Thanks god for the forums - again :thumbsup: I have to say that replicating sky, Tv, DVD, amp and audio in two rooms (and with quality gear) has cost me a fortune but it would have cost a lot more (and been a lot poorer) without the advice of the members. Thanks again.

6. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TIJ303 - Yes good point and one that I had not thought of. Will need another card. Please enlighten me on the £20 Freesat card from Sky IIRC??!! Sorry for my ignorance.

Mike

7. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    www.freesatfromsky.com

A. Dork

8. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    emjel - Dork has the address but I dont know if you can actuallly walk into currys and get one. The website suggests so ?