Sky+ Digibox - Electric shocks

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by scudriderdude, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. scudriderdude

    scudriderdude
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2007
    Messages:
    21
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, my first post here, and need some advice.

    Recently changed my TV from a JVC 28" CRT, to a Mirai DTL-332M100. Powered everything off, and took the old TV off, disconnected everything else, put the new stand on, and started putting the new DTL-332M100 onto the stand and started plugging everything in. First in was the sky+ box, that was okay, and then my SLX booster / sender for the TV upstairs, I then put my Liteon DVD recorder in, and touched the skybox, whilst plugging in the scart cables (Good quality Monster Cable one, £90.00's worth, and got one of hell of a jolt.

    Motogp was on this morning and i wanted to record it, so I got the sky+ box and dvd recorder working together so i could record it, came down this morning, touched everything separately, no shocks, recorded motogp, and went to carry on setting up my other kit, and got a shock from my VCR even though I hadn't connected it up yet, I touched the sky+ box in the process, and ZAP!

    I think its down to the old TV probably being earthed and the Mirai DTL-332M100. not being earthed but i have no idea what to do, would it fix it, if I ran an earth cable from the case of the sky+ box, to the top pin of a UK plug, that is earthed, would that stop me getting shocks If I am touching 2 bits of kit? - it doesn't seem to matter if the power is on or off on any of the kit, i still get a shock.........

    HELP! :lease::) -

    Thx

    James
     
  2. scudriderdude

    scudriderdude
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2007
    Messages:
    21
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got everything else set up this morning, with the overnight time for the power to be off - any ideas on the shocks?
     
  3. John

    John
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2002
    Messages:
    11,635
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    166
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    scart leads carry a 12v current ,iirc, on one of the pins . Nothing to worry about , However £90 on a scart lead :eek:

    Just re read , Most AV product are double insulated , and only have 2 wires into the component (fig8 cable) ie no earth
    Sounds like your getting static shocks if nothing was connected to the VCR . Have you changed your pants or socks recently ? I get massive shocks from the exit barrier at the local multi storey . So much so that I wince before I have to touch it
    Welcome to the forums , have a look round before you spend anymore money :D;)
     
  4. JayCee

    JayCee
    Distinguished Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Messages:
    23,764
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    166
    Location:
    Lanarkshire
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Do not do this
    What you are experiencing is just earth leakage and a "Potential Difference" between the various bits of kit and is very common but harmless.
    Anyone who installs AV Equipment for a living will experience this everyday.
     
  5. scudriderdude

    scudriderdude
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2007
    Messages:
    21
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, ended up wearing a pair of marigolds to put the rest together LOL :)

    I don;t think it was just 12V - not just a tingle, a proper Jolt, - but still its all up and working, just don't want to touch it now!

    Cheers for the comments, will have a look around the forums, if ya know of any other threads in a similar vein, can ya chuck me a link on here pls. Ta :)
     

Share This Page

Loading...