SKY Digibox and Humax HD Freesat running off same cable

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mayroad, Feb 11, 2009.

1. mayroad

mayroad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I already have a Humax HD Freesat box linked up to a dish via a single cable. I am getting a standard SKY Digibox so I can watch sports etc. - can I run both receivers off the same cable from the dish and if so what kit do I need to split the feed. I want to keep the HD box to watch the odd bit of BBC HD and I did not want to pay for SKY HD.

Thanks

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    By the far the easiest solution would be to replace your existing LNB with a quad one and run 2, 3 or 4 cables from the existing dish.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. mayroad

mayroad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply - really wanted to avoid that if possible as we live in an old house on a hill side, and it's a 50 metre cable run up to the dish - don't really want to run another cable for aesthetic reasons. I should also say we don't expect to use the SKY and Freesat box at the same time - it will always be one or the other.

Is there any other solution.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Does the Freesat box have an LNB out/thru connection? You could go from that into the Sky box if so. Only issue would be that there will be a conflict if both boxes are on and require a different polarity transponder (one wants vertical, one wants horizontal). If you never need them on together or permanently (PVR) then this is not an issue.

EDIT: Had a quick look round and the only Humax Freesat HD receiver I could see doesn't have the LNB Out connection. You could use a manual switch like this maybe

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=17808

No idea if it's any good though. You might also find an auto switching solution here.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page1b.htm#sps1

Depending on your signal the loss in quality may not be acceptable with these devices.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  5. saabtech

saabtech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a technisat lnb feed splitter that i do not use anymore, this would do the job. If you want it pm me your address and i will send it to you gratis,
    Regards, Saabtech.

6. mayroad

mayroad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much everyone for your help

7. the_gavnor

the_gavnor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You can't split an LNB feed, as the LNB will be switched to one polarity, but then if you try watching a channel on the other box on another polarity you will lose signal on one of the boxes

8. saabtech

saabtech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The splitter in question works the same way as a lnb loopthrough, you can watch one or the other, or both at the same time provided they are both of the same polarity.
    I first used this switch on a Sakura and a Finlux reciever, [both had only 16 channels], with a hand cranked movable dish.
    It still works, I checked it last night.

Anyone else remember Super Channel, Fallan decoders and sky when it was free to air?

9. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hello there,

Apologies if this is deemed as "hijacking" a thread but I have a quick question. I have Sky+ and have been thinking of getting a separate FreeSat HD box for, obviously, the free HD content.

Can anyone advise how easy it would be to achieve this? I mean, how hard would it be to fit a quad LNB. Is this something I could do myself or would I need to get an engineer in.

Also, is it just a question of then plugging the cable in to the the FreeSat box to get the HD channels?

Many thanks in advance

10. naes12

naes12
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, i currenlty have standard sky but i am uprading to Sky HD :clap:. I am also buying a new TV with freesat. If i get Sky HD installed, will the freesat run off the Sky dish and sky cable? Once the sky in plugged into the back of the TV will freesat start working straight away?:rolleyes:

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009