Sky Digi - Sharing Between UK & France

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by branny, Sep 19, 2005.

1. branny

branny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Hello All

I am hoping someone can clarify this. The boss at work is wealthy enough to have place in both the UK & France.

He is looking at getting Sky at his UK residence. If he also had a dish fitted and aligned at his French residence, could he simply unplug his box in the UK, take it with him and set it up in France and get all the Sky programs????

Your help would be much appreciated......If I can help him sort, he might give me a pay rise so I get a place in the sun aswell (not)!!! :clap:

Cheers
    Branny

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep... Provided it's only for a few weeks at a time. In the first 12 months you are required to keep it plugged into the phone and if Sky tell the box to phone them and it doesn't, they may stop the card.

He'd also need a bigger dish in La France.

3. Mora

Mora
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That info is not entirely correct.

You are required to keep it plugged into a phone line if you have a subsidsed box, but if you just buy one, you don't have to have it connected to a phoneline.

4. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Also, while on holiday in france, i had sky and they used a normal mini-dish

5. branny

branny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Hello All

Well the boss took his box to France last week but couldn't recieve any signal. It is possible that this has resulted from damaged cable resultant to building work. However before he pays to have cabling refitted just wanted to check if anyone can clarify the following.......

1) The dish is a Canal dish. Will this be compatible with Sky???

2) In terms of orientation of the dish, any idea how this should be positioned / pointed, ie NE, NW, S, SE etc?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Branny

6. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The make of dish does not matter. The important thing is that the dish is pointing to the right satellite. If the dish was installed by a French dealer the chances are that it's oriented towards one the satellites used by French broadcasters, viz. Astra 1, Hotbird or Atlantic Bird 3, unless he was told differently.

The dish needs to be aligned to Astra 2 which is located at 28.2 degrees east of south. The precise azimuth bearing depends upon where you are located in France.

7. branny

branny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Robbie,

Thanks v much.

I presume that in simple terms this means that the dish should be pointed towards the sky in a south easterly facing direction and when Sky is received bobs your uncle???

Thanks
    Branny

8. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    In a nutshell, that's it, although it's not quite so simple. Ideally, you need a compass to get the exact bearing. Once you have that, the dish needs to be moved a fraction at a time until you have a signal, and then until you achieve maximum signal quality.

You can align a dish using the signal meter on the Sky digibox, but it's much easier, and better, to use a signal meter. I have a holiday home in France and it took me about three minutes to set up my dish using a DigiSat Pro meter.