• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

sky+ different boxes?

S

samthecat

Hi i am new too all this,so excuse a simple question.
i am going to get sky+ and have read various threads on this forum.i didnt realise there were different boxes.
1) What is the best Thomson,Pace or Amstrad-are there others?
Are there different versions?
2) Can you choose one of these?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
samthecat said:
Hi i am new too all this,so excuse a simple question.
i am going to get sky+ and have read various threads on this forum.i didnt realise there were different boxes.
1) What is the best Thomson,Pace or Amstrad-are there others?
Are there different versions?
2) Can you choose one of these?

The Pace is generally regarded as the best and most reliable followed by Thomson.
If you order from Sky you can ask for a particular make but there is no guarantee you will receive it and in most cases you will get whatever is in the installers van.
If you order it from an independent Sky authorised installer you stand a greater chance of getting your choice of make.

speedymct

Whatever you do, don't ask for the Amstrad. It's pants. I had a Pace with no viewing problems, & the Amstrad is useless IMO. The epg is slow, can take up to 5 secs to change channels, it's noisy..... & I've only had it 2 days!

Can't vouch for the Thomson, but I found the pace to be very good.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom