Sky+ died

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by FarmDriver, Mar 2, 2005.

1. FarmDriver

FarmDriver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After 2 years our Sky+ box has called it a day. Earlier today my wife tried to watch Sky and there was no satellite signal so she thought she could watch some recorded programs. Having failed to get any of her recordings to work she was annoyed to see they were now all listed as failed. Although two programs she did not try were still o.k. She then tried a Planner Rebuild, after which the other two programs were failed as well. The signal was back and so she was able to watch the news and weather. Later while the signal was still o.k she tried another rebuild after which it never came out of standby. I came home not long after and tried a reboot which achieved nothing. Another reboot after the box had been off for an hour still did not get us anywhere so we called Sky. Before we could be passed along we had to do another reboot whilst talking to Sky. The next person tried updating the software by rebooting and having me hold in the backup button on the box at the same time. After less than ten minutes the update was finished and we still had a box stuck in standby. Another call to Sky and we are now having someone out on Saturday who I expect, for the £65 we have just paid them, will give us a refurbished box.

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi FarmDriver,

That really is such bad luck. I had no trouble with my Panasonic Sky box. Then I upgraded to Sky+ Pace V1 which failed after a few months. I had several "refurbished" boxes and eventually Sky took pity and gave me a brand new Pace V2 over a year ago, which has given me no trouble at all.

It sounds as if you have tried everything possible to restore your box to normal. It may be something simple, and possibly to do with the snow and ice we've had in Kent and East Sussex. If it isn't that I hope you will be given a Pace box although it seems that the latest Amstrads are o.k. I can understand how you feel when your planner fails and you miss favourite episodes or films.

Hope it all goes well for you.
    Best Wishes

3. FarmDriver

FarmDriver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The engineer arrived early, took one look at the box and went back to his van to get a refurbished box. And what does he have for us? An Amstrad of course. So we now have a high pitched whine and vertical lines on the picture. The whine I could live with but my wifes hearing is better than mine and it is driving her mad. The lines I am finding distracting but you can't see them all the time. At least he got the RF2 sorted out for us so the second t.v now gets a Sky picture too.

Has anyone managed to get a refurbished Amstrad box replaced after an out of warranty box has failed?

4. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Bad luck having one of the refurbished Amstrad boxes. I have seen a few posts about the noise from them and there was apparently a bad batch of Amstrad boxes which had this and the vertical lines. Yours is probably one of these.

I can't answer your question about getting a refurbished box replaced after an out of warranty box has failed. If you can possibly afford it I would be tempted to buy a new Pace Sky+ box (about £159 on some sites). A lot of money to land out when you should have trouble free watching anyhow. It depends on how important Sky+ is to your leisure hours. My husband and I would be lost without ours. If you bought a new box it would mean probably trouble free watching (fingers crossed) for quite a while.

Let us know what happens.

5. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should tell Sky the box is faulty and you want it replaced.

Record everything you do - because if you don't get resolution early on then you will need to write a formal complaint - and facts count.

Step one - Ring Sky - tell them the replacement box is faulty and why.

They will probably replace the box. Means another visit but should be within your 3 months guarantee on the replacement box - your £65 gets you this much.

If the replacement box is also faulty - repeat. Keep on repeating until they refuse.

Make sure that if you reject an Amstrad it is actually faulty. They must have resolved this problem at some point.

When you finally hit a brick wall.....

Step two - Write to [email protected] - Make sure that in the first line of the email you use the word "complaint". Stick to the facts - no ranting - if you want to rant - do it here. They will get a lot of these so it needs to be something that catches their attention as a genuine issue, and quickly.

Finally - if they still refuse, they will give you the option of going to trading standards. Having gone through all these steps and having documented them - you will have a case.

Good luck. Bear in mind - you are not alone - lots of other people have had issues with the Amstrads and have convinced Sky to replace them with Pace boxes.

Roger