1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ denon 3803 and panny pe30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cowtipper, May 18, 2004.

1. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i am about to take delivery of a PE30 form JL and i am trying to find out the best way to hook it up as i had a hitachi 42pd3000 recently and was so unhappy with the picture that i sent it back i had every concievable problem you can think of solarisation colour bleed banding etc etc.
    I dont know if i had a lemon or it was down to my setup :-(

so to avoid it happening again i thought i would post my intended connectivity description and get peeps feedback

Sky+(S-vid)>denon 3803>PE30
    sony dvd 830 (component)>denon 3803>PE30
    PS2 (component)>denon 3803>PE30

do anyone seen any issues with this or have you had experience of this config and can comment on picture quality

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm not an expert but I think I'd make one change and that is that I'd take the sky+ direct to the screen but as an RGB signal. I sent my plasma back but whilst I had it I noticed quite a difference between an RGB picture and S-Vid.

I'd wait for a few more comments from those more knowledgeable than me though.

3. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think cowtippers 3803 upconverts the s-vid from Sky+ to component anyway. This is undoubtedly the tidiest method of connection. To get a big jump forward in picture quality I imagine you would need an external scaler of some sort.

4. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    originally i was going to buy anb JS RGB>component converter then after speaking to my local dealer his opinion was that the denon would do the same job and reaassured me that the Video circuity in the 3803 was very good P.S not the same dealer that sold me the amp :)

whilst in my local dealers they had got SKY+ hooked up to a PE30
    using just a qed scart and compared to many plasma's i have seen i was impressed the PQ was really good i must have stood in front of the tv for a good 45 mins flicking channel to channel trying to find a flaw and could not after the hitachi i had disregarged plasma as a viable solution as i am a stickler for PQ but after seeing this pe30 perform it swung me back to the plasma
    unfortunatley i am now bricking it in case when i set my tv up it is not as good

after my hitachi and i am hoping i can get a better picture fingers crossed poor old JL i have returned 5 tvs so far 4 crts and a plasma i am hopingthis will be the last one

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Try the s-video through the Denon first and see if you're happy with the picture... Personally I think the RGB>component via JS converter is well worth the additional expense.. The dealer is partly correct in that the Denon does have high quality video switching, however the internal conversion from s-video to component is not the same as going from RGB to component...

6. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    taking in to accoutn i used a js rgb>comp converter i only have 2 component inputs on my denon and i would thne have 3 component devices and my plasma is on the oppostie side of the room to my av rack connnected via a 6metre component lead what esle would i need to give me the extra component connection.

or could i use a scart from my ps2 to my SKy+ box as in theory this would still display my ps2 in component via the js converter does sky+ box support this does anyone know

ps2(RGB Scart)>sky+ (rgb scart)>JS\rgb-comp.converter>denon 3803>Pe30
    DVD sony 930>denon 3803>Pe30

i am getting a bti confused now anyone got any ideas?

7. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( ok guys i have been thinking and again i have come up with another theory i have not taken delivery of my son y dvd 930 yet i have still got the 700 at the moment

so how about this config

ps2 (rgb)>Sony 700 (rgb)>SKY+(rgb)>js rgb-yuv converter>Pe30

I was not too sure how this will affect signal strength down the chain
    any thought please ? :( :zonked:

8. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It was the upconversion from S-Vid by the amp I was trying to avoid and although I haven't seen one in action, I would have thought that the RGB convertor to component would be better. I'm perhaps a little biased as on my equipment (which is admitedly dated), I've always found RGB better than s-vid so I'd rather convert a "better" (IMHO) original signal.

You can daisy chain as I believe most of those will support RGB passthrough. I don't know what effect each link in the chain would have on the signal. However, one thing that struck me as being a potential problem is the fact that if everything is going into the one input on the plasma, you're not going to be able to adjust the picture for each source automatically.

For example, when I had my panny, I put Sky+ RGB in AV1, DVD RGB in AV2. This meant that I could then store settings per input that I felt best suited the pictures that each piece of equipment provided. I can't remember exactly but, for example, I seem to recall that I had one setup brighter than the other. You won't be able to do this unless you store different setups in the user settings and then select it manually when you switch between equipment.

This may well be me being a bit picky and overlooking something obvious. Hope you get some more constructive advice and that you enjoy your new screen: wish I'd managed to sort out a new plasma for myself now!

9. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same thought about the picture settins but the screen only has 1 yuv input and my av rack is on the other side of the room

10. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken delivery of my Panny PW6 (similar screen I believe as yours), and I have gone the RGB Scart to VGA using a JS Technologies RGB2VGA convertor.

Out of the box the picture is better than I have seen on demo in any shop. (Not difficult I know!). The picture is fantastic!

Highly recommended!!

(if you can afford a Bettercables Silver Serpent VGA cable you will see an even better picture but they are about £100.00 a pop)

11. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a web smurf and Apparently the pe30 does not have input memory in regards to pic setting so if you change the setting on 1 input you change them all
    this sort of removes the picture setting problem

PHF unfortunately my VGa is on the front otherwise i would had opted to runa HTPC instead of all these converter boxes and stuff

what a **** design from panny they could of at least put a 2nd vga connnection on the rear
    i have been looking around at some way of trying to use of the rear connnections for vga some sosrt of converter so i can setup a HTPC

i cant figure out how to post pictures can anyone tell me?

12. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I thought they'd 'rectify' it from the pa20, but they've copied the 3 most annoying things from it.

1. vga on front.
    2. component stereo sound through scart.
    3. picture memory settings.

13. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just wanted to add that a PS2 has the ability to output component video in the first instance. It may be worth trying it with a direct component connection to see what you think.

It needs a special cable (surprise!) and you have to change a setting in the PS2 options which toggles it between RGB and Component output.

In regard to the issue of upconversion, this won't restore quality that has already been lost. I think you'd be better off converting your Sky+ RGB to component (with the JS box) and then driving your unit entirely via component.

The Denon's upconversion facility is great for simplifying cabling, but it makes sense to keep your signals in their highest quality form for as long as possible.

Obviously if your signal isn't that wonderful to begin with (such as from a standard VCR) then this does make things a lot simpler, with no separate Composite feed to the screen.

14. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sorry, the panny I had was a 6 series, not a PA20 so I didn't know that you couldn't store different picture settings per av channel on one of those. I was using the 600 tuner box and so thought that both would work in a similar way. Have to say that I'd find that quite a drawback.

I know what you mean about AV equipment being in the wrong place! before my screen arrived I had to get a carpenter in to build me shelving near to the screen as previously all my stuff had been on a rack alongside/underneath my tv.

I'd go along with the earlier post that said keep the signal in the best possible form for as long as possible. Other than that though, sorry but I can't think of anything else to propose.

Best of luck and enjoy the screen when you get it set up properly (however you end up doing it!)

15. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have thought a direct RGB would be better than a 3803 s-video to component conversion.

Have you considered saving over £200 and going for the 2803 it lacks the internal conversions but you could spend half the money on a JS converter with better results.

Just a thought

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Better still, as you have sky+ why do you need the PE30, why not have a PW6, junk the tuner and the built in speakers and fat subwoofer? 2 component connections will solve your trouble at a stroke, one from the 3803, one from PS2 or whatever way you prefer. You'll be able to connect 3 comonent inputs to your system, and it will be simpler as well.

17. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i bought the pe30 i demoed both screens with the same dvd player and cables and the pe30 came out on top by a long way on perfromance and on price and the WAF fator was higher with teh pe30 she likes the styling as it matches the AV rack :blush:

Guys i really apprecitae your comments on this it is my 1st posting on this site and i am gratefull for any help

does anyone know how to attach pictures

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry i didn't read all your posts properly. I take it you already own the Denon 3803 and putting the AV rack near your display isn't an option???

This really limits your options as the VGA connection is not really possible. Also if the pe30 is a front vga input it is a non starter anyway.

personally I would try your set up and if you are not 100% happy get a JS RGB to component converter. I honestly don't think it would make a huge difference mind you the sky broadcast signal is hardly that great anyway.

19. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have setup my pe30 using RGB scarts

Sky+ (RGB)>Pe30
    PS2 (RGB)>SONY DVD (RGB)>Pe30

I am overall happy with the picture but as i have said previously my av rack cant sit next to the TV as it is at eh moment stuck in the middle of the room so do you guys think it would be worth me investing in a JS rgv>yuv converter and running everything on Component or just buying an extra long RGB scart and keeping it the way it is

Component setup would be

PS2 (YUV)>Denon 3803 (YUV)>Pe30
    Sony DVD (RGB)>sky+(RGB)> JS RGB\YUV converter>Denon 3803>pe30

Or RGB SCART setup

PS2 (RGB)>SOny DVD (RGB)>sky+ (RGB)>pe30

also i have been offered a zinwell brite view cheap has anyone had experience of these boxes as the pic quallity i am getting is very good probably the best i have seen on a plasma

I am just a bit apprehensive on spening all this money out and not getting any further improvements in PQ

Guys you comments are always appreciated and i do apologise if i ramble on
    i ahve included a basic diagram of my room setup

Attached Files: