1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ defaulting to mono

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dermo, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Dermo

Dermo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope one of you experts can help a novice and very new member!

I have Sky+ installed on Ext 3 on a Tosh 36ZP18P via scart. There is an Optical cable connecting the two. My problem is when I try to change channels on the Sky+, the TV defaults back to channel 6(where Sky is tuned into) instead of picking the signal up from the Ext. This means that I don't get the benefit of the Dolby Digital sound on movies.In fact the sound on channel 6 is actually mono.I have manually tuned channel 6 to another channel but as soon as I press Sky on my remote, it defaults back to channel 6.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tosh 36ZP18P, LG DVD, Sky+, Panasonic VCR, PS2, Philips video sender.

2. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The remote is set to change the TV channel and so the remote automatically switches to channel 6 because it's been programmed to (probably by your installer). You could remove the batteries for a while then put them back in, but you wont be able to control the TV volume anymore. However, do this then set your remote to control your TV again, without setting (telling) your remote to switch to channel 6 everytime you press Sky (this extra setting is done if you DO want it to switch to a certain channel e.g channel 6). You'll probably find the codes in your manual or something. Read the manual carefully on how to programme the remote, and try to understand exactly what you are doing. Good luck. (I don't have Sky yet, but have been reading up a lot before I get Sky+ installed.)

3. Dermo

Dermo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi 7Seven

Thanks for your advice. I have reprogrammed the remote as you suggested and it worked!!:).
    I still need to choose EXT1 on my TV to access Sky as it doesn't automatically switch when I press sky on the remote but I can live with that.
    Cheers
    Dermo

4. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got SCART control enabled? It's in the System Setup menu. Go to System Setup, then Picture Settings and turn SCART control On. If it's on already, then it probably means that your TV does not switch automatically or that there's another problem. Try the above and I hope it works, coz I don't know what else it could be. Good Luck mate, let me know how it goes.

5. Dermo

Dermo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, scart control is on so it must be the TV (or maybe a poor scart lead). However, I've just bought a Philips Pronto Remote control so I've programmed that to bring up Ext 1 when I select Sky so I'm sorted.
    Thanks again, mate

6. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I could help, bye.

7. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you do me a favour please? Fone up Universal Communications on 0800 294 0544 (free) or 01277 229 292 (national, free on some Mobile timeplans off-peak) and ask the following questions:

1) Sky+ Digibox currently costs £199 and upto £100 installation, what's their current price of Sky+ Digibox and price of installation?
    2) (If higher) Why is this?
    3) If Sky drop their price to £150, will they drop theirs to AROUND the same price at least and by how much?
    4) If they drop their price a couple of weeks or months after you buy it, will thy compensate you?

If they ask where you got their number, say cai.org.uk (CAI website, NOT CIA!) Thank you, they know my voice, I've hassled them constantly! Thanks again!!!

8. Progressive

Progressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just upgraded from SKY to SKY+.

Originally, when activated via the 'SKY' button, my television automatically changed to channel 6 (hence mono sound). On a website somewhere I found how to reprogram the remote control so that the macro that changed to channel 6 was removed. From then on, the Television would go straight to EXT1 (if scart control was enabled) - Hooray !

Now, on SKY+, I have enabled scart control, kept the exact same Scart cables and not shuffled them around (ie just a swap of sky boxes) but now it doesn't work ? To work around this, I have to press 'TV' then the 'Help' key to change to the correct EXT (EXT1 in my case).

Anybody got any ideas ?

9. Progressive

Progressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just FYI - I have fixed this issue.

When the SKY+ engineer replaced the Sky Boxes, he must have accidently swapped the SCART cables around (ie TV output to VCR and VCR output to TV).

Cables now put back correctly and 'SKY' button now working fine - Horray again !!

This maybe the answer to the original 'Sky to Mono' question.

10. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already helped Dermo fix it... The remote was programmed to switch the TV to channel 6 (a macr, like you said), so it was just reprogrammed not to do this. The TV switches to the active AV (SCART) channel on most TV's. Can you do the favour I asked for on my previous post about Universal Communications? Thanks matey! Bye...