• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky decoder boxes

baldybonce

Established Member
I am currently revamping the outside of the house, (rendering, new roof etc) and at the moment we have plain old Sky. The guy that is getting me a new dish has given me twin cable to install to the new dish position in case we get Sky+ in the future.

My question is... will a Sky+ decoder box work without being registered or paying for the + part on our monthly subscription. Basically a mate of mine has one he doesnt use and said I could have it, but no point if it aint going to work or record.

Im not too clued up on how the + boxes work but I would assume it would work OK. How about recording?

Cheers

Starburst

Distinguished Member
The SKY+ service is included in all SKY PAY packages so if you get a SKY+ and have an existing SKY package then just contact SKY to have the SKY+ part switch on for the new box.

baldybonce

Established Member
The SKY+ service is included in all SKY PAY packages so if you get a SKY+ and have an existing SKY package then just contact SKY to have the SKY+ part switch on for the new box.

The + box was used prior to my mate getting HD so does that mean the box is already switched on for the + part. Excuse me for being a bit dim but surely SKY have no control over what the box does as it controls what YOU do with the signal, ie watch or record or both. The only control SKY have is whether it works or not and if we have a valid SKY card to put in the box I cant see how it wouldnt function??

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
The + box was used prior to my mate getting HD so does that mean the box is already switched on for the + part. Excuse me for being a bit dim but surely SKY have no control over what the box does as it controls what YOU do with the signal, ie watch or record or both. The only control SKY have is whether it works or not and if we have a valid SKY card to put in the box I cant see how it wouldnt function??

Your viewing card controls what a Sky box can or cannot do. If you have at least a one mix subscription then Sky+ will be free BUT you need to phone Sky to pair your card with the Sky+ box and activate the recording features. They will not work until you do this.

nfbr

Standard Member
Do sky charge at all to have Sky Plus activated ?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Do sky charge at all to have Sky Plus activated ?

The SKY+ service is free if you are a SKY channel package subscriber (from 1 MIX upwards) otherwise £10 a month is still required.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom