1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ deal

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by StooMonster, Sep 25, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I have Sky+ which costs me an extra £10 on my £18.50 package (everything except movies and sport).

I have a FTA card in my old digibox and enjoy all the unecrypted stuff in bedroom via RGB, and Sky+ via RF and magic eye.

But I want all the channels I have on my Sky+ box but in RGB not RF, and I don't want to pay £15 for the priviledge. £15 per month to have RGB signal rather than RF signal seems a bit steep to me; particularly as it's either/or with the boxes, will never watch both at the same time.

I'd be paying £10+£15 = £25
    = more than my £18.50 package for these "value-added services"
    = total Sky package £42.50 per month

I phoned Sky and they said from 1 October 2003, Sky+ customers get a £5 discount for second digibox subscription.

But I'd be paying £10+£10 = £20
    = still more than my £18.50 package
    = total Sky package £38.50 per month

An extra £5 a month I might consider for RGB rather than RF, but £10 or £15? Nah!

And why do I have to pay a monthly subscription to the otherwise excellent Sky+? Particularly as the box went wrong and I lost an entire HD's worth of recording of programmes I hadn't seen -- what happened in the last "Six feet under"?

StooMonster

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huh?

3. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    from oct 1, sky plus sub is dropped so get a mirror sub for £10

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    A Free To Air card I got from the BBC, you know, the credit card sized piece of plastic that plugs in my Sky digibox so I can see ITV1 and Channel 4 and Channel 5 -- looks exactly the same as the one in Sky+ box.

Are you saying from 1 Oct, Sky+ sub is dropped and that mirror sub is also dropped from £15 down to £10? Because when I phoned Sky they said it's only mirror dropping to £10, so combination of the two will be £20 and not current price of £25. Both these for £10 would be nice.

StooMonster

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I believe the Sky+ sub is only dropped if you subscribe to 2 premium channels.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It's pedantic I know but there is no such thing as a FTA (Free To Air) smartcard, the cards previously issued via the BBC are FTV (Free To View) smartcards. Most of use know exactly what you mean but it could cause confusion with people new to the forum:)

From Oct 1st if you subscribe to two or more SKY premium channels then the SKY+ subscription (£10) is waived, if you also have a mirror subscription the price is reduced by £5 a month to £10 a month.
    However people who were taking advantage of the combined SKY+/Mirror deal first offered last year to "loyal" subscribers on the SKYworld package (£15 mirror, SKY+ free) will only see a reduction of £5 due the the mirror sub price cut.

7. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So could I buy a new sky plus box and mirror to my existing sky+?

Or will I get charged an extra £10 to be able to record on both?

Hope this makes sense

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

As I understand it there will be no £10 charge for either of the SKY+ boxes as long as you are on a qualifying channel package. The mirror subscription would then be £10 a month since you are a SKY+ user.

9. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I am interested in hearing that the £10 Sky+ subscription is to be dropped, I have had Sky + for nearly a year now and subscribe to the Sky World package (movies and sport) ..... should I expect to see the £10 charge for Sky + dropped commencing October?

Many Thanks

10. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes, I received a letter about a week ago confirming that the £10 charge would be dropped from 1st October.

11. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hmmmm.... just heard some gossip that the Sky+ £10 waiver is only going to be for 6 months.... anyone else heard anything on this?

I thought the smallprint meant the couldnt change the fees for 12 months.

regards

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is nothing to indicate that the waiving of the fee for selected subscribers is a short term promotion.
    Are you sure the source of the gossip wasn't refering to the remaining time (for some people) of the previous deal were "loyal" subscribers with SKY+ and mirror had the SKY+ charge dropped for 1 year?

A NEW subscriber to the SKY D service has the subscription fee frozen for one year, any price rise during that year is not applicable to them until after they complete the minimum term.

13. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I knew if I waited long enough they would relent and drop the listing fee, which I on more than several occasions have made my annoyance heard by mail, and by phone after attempts to negociate a deal without the monthly fee, I even had to argue the case that "Sky Movies Premier" and "Moviemax" were each premium channels, and the fact that I had both together as the "Movie Package" still entitled me to the waived monthly fee, even though this option was not listed as qualifying on the Sky Website.....talk about blood from a stone, but it was worth the wait and I knew it would be. Just waiting for my optical cable to come now from Keene, so I can get the sounds hooked up to my Amp and enjoy the DD. Certainly there was no indication that htis was a temporary offer, and I undertook the agreement with that as read!
    Great product though, and now the whole family can record anything they like with ease, and my theatre setup is now regarded as working by the rest of the family!:clap:

Best regards David

14. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much does a sky plus box cost then?

15. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned: