1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ deal

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by hb1966, Oct 17, 2004.

1. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed theres an offer on Sky+ for £99. I have a couple of questions I'd be grateful for an answer too:

If i 'upgrade' what happens to my old box?

Is there only one manufacturer of sky+ boxes?

What sort of connection is available for taking audio out of the unit and feeding my AV amp?

What is the standard recording time available on the unit?

thanks.

2. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully can answer some of your questions:

I kept my old sky box, and was supplied with a new one.

Audio out from sky box is via optical cable

Standard recording time ???? Id estimate approx 30-40 hrs but could be wrong - if this isnt long enough you can upgrade the HD.

I couldnt live without Sky + now - its a must have in my book.

Cheers

Ant

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    As with Antsplan except that recording time is aproximately 20 hours, this does depend on the channel the better the quality the greater the disk usage.

You probably won't get a choice of manufacturer. I would prefer Amstrad because early reports (its newish) suggest its more reliable but others on here hate Amstrad and would prefer Pace.

Also the £99.00 is (was it regularly changes) for new subsrcribers not upgraders. See other posts on here as to how to blackmail Sky into getting the £99.00 offer.

4. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I had a local company install my Sky Digibox so will contact them and see if they can offer the low cost deal.

Is there a market for used Digiboxes? No point in keeping a box I'm not going to use again, it would be good if i could sell it on.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Whilst the standard recording time is about 20 hours, I've never been close to filling up my hard disk. As stated above, once you've had Sky+ there's no going back, it really is great for recording and so easy to use.
    I kept my old box and had it moved to another room for a mirror subscription. I'm considering replacing this with another Sky+ box to be honest, then I can get rid of both VCRs.

6. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've no need for a second box, so getting rid of it would be beneficial.

Just taking the thread a bit further...

Can you record two channels at once then - I presume you can? I was really only after it for the sound improvements when watching the movies etc. However, if it becomes viable as a video recorder then thats a plus.

When you make a number of recordings, what information is stored? When you view the hard disk contents, do you see program name, time and date?

If you record from a channel with adverts, do they record or are they skipped?

7. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pretty much all of the program info that you might need is shown for recordings, date, time, channel, info etc.

Adverts are always recorded, but you quickly get real good with the 30x fast forward.

8. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Its miles (much much much) better than a video recorder for time shifting though its no good for long term storage, ideally for that you'ed get a DVDR though a VCR will also work.

Yes you can record 2 channels at once. At the same time you can watch something you've recorded earlier but not another channel (only 2 tuners).

You get the same info as when you press the EPG info guide plus a bit more such as length of recording and how far into it you've viewed. You can start viewing from any point of the program.

Adverts are recorded and there's no way to remove them, though at 30x fast forward they're not a problem other than they'll still be there if you record onto DVD/VCR. The best bit is the red dot is removed.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    The other impressive thing is that it saves the position where you watched up to on every program that you've recorded. So you can part watch a few programs and go straight back to where you left off.

10. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another good thing is the fact the picture quality of the recording is the same as the orginal picture as it records the original broadcast stream. Unlike with videos where the recorded picture look inferioir to the live picture.