Sky d-link 2640S setup

kieran151989

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Im gettin pretty annoyed at the crappy router sky have given me, I simply dont get a good signal in my office with the router in the lounge, I cant upgrade to a wireless N router because it breaks sky's T&C, so.....

Ive told sky my router has broken and they sent me a new one (so i have 2 working D-link 2640S routers) is it possible to set these up as an extender... if so how......

Thanks im advanced,

Kieran

Im gettin pretty annoyed at the crappy router sky have given me, I simply dont get a good signal in my office with the router in the lounge,
In my opinion, not "crappy" at all. I had one at home running as a Wireless Access Point with no problems. (By law, all 802.11 devices are much of a muchness.)

Have you tried using inSSIDer to fix this. (Many threads how to here because it gets answered daily.)

Alternatively have read the HomePlug FAQ.

hi, thanks for the replies.

Ive got 2 laptops both with wireless N, sky dont do Wireless N routers which is annoying, Ive got two routers both the same make and model (Dlink DSL-2640S).

Can I have one router in the lounge where my BT phone line is and one in the office, so i relay the signal from the router in the lounge to the router in the office?

Can I have one router in the lounge where my BT phone line is and one in the office, so i relay the signal from the router in the lounge to the router in the office?
Yes. Connect one of the router's Ethernet LAN ports to a Home Plug or Cat5 Cable. Connect one of the second router's Ethernet LAN ports to a HomePlug or other end of Cat5 cable. HOWEVER you MUST disable the DHCP Server on the second router and it is a good idea to give it a new IP address as well.

This gets discussed weekly (twice today actually) and so I recommend a search on these forums. Try: "second router"

why do i need to buy homeplugs, shouldn't two routers send the signal on?,
I dont really want to run a 20 meter cat5 cable to my laptop either?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom