Sky customer services

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by groundwork, Aug 4, 2006.

1. groundwork

groundwork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was due to get Sky HD yesterday. Engineer had phoned up the day before and left a message to confirm.

He phones up at 9.30 saying he couldn't find me. I asked him where he was. He was in Liverpool. This might have been ok if I still lived there but I now live in London (where I've been for a year and a half).

Weeks before, when receiving the letter confirming installation I'd noticed the wrong address on the letter and rung up Sky to let them know. I was told that they'd noticed the mistake and had sorted it out.

To say I was livid was an understatement - I'd taken the day off work to wait in for them. I was straight onto Sky customer services. Rather than typing out a long rant about what happened, here it is in a nutshell.

- it wasn't their "problem" that I'd had to take a day off work to wait in.
    - other than apologise there was nothing else they were going to do about it
    - they don't offer any compensation for them screwing up your appointment
    - they'd refund my money and put me through to sales to rebook an appointment. the refund would take up to a week but I'd have to pay for the new installation straight away
    - no, there was no Saturday appointment available, if I wanted a Saturday I'd have to take the next available weekday appointment (August 29th) and they'd email installations to get a Saturday (sometime in September)
    - and no, despite them failing to provide the service as promised there was nothing else they would do to help me
    - and the price had gone up to £359 - I'd have to pay for the £359 box and sort out a refund afterwards

I told them to forget about it

In the meanwhile, I was on the internet and found a retailer who'd let me have a box without installation (already have Sky+) - The Television Place in Middlesex and I could pick it up the same day - which is what I did.

So I got Sky HD yesterday and yes, I am pleased with it. I wasn't about to throw out the baby with the bathwater and refuse to have it on principle.

Sky Customer Services, on the other hand earnt my complete contempt. There lack of customer focus astonishes me and, like other people on here, goes to show that when you have a virtual monopoly on satellite services you can treat your customers just how you like and what are they going to do about it.

Shame on them.

2. Tuscan

Tuscan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Isn't Sky just an amazing company.

3. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    Shame Murdoch doesn't have a look at was is happening to real customers, rather than spending his time on cloud-cuckoo land ideas like Internet access. If the customer service is as good as it is with TV services, I'd rather travel to the moon than swap from my current (excellent) ISP.

4. pr1970

pr1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I wasted 2 days holiday thanks to $ky.
    First time they called me 1 day before my installation which was due,was to be on a monday , to say it was cancelled until the following week. Couldnt cancel my holiday as i`d arranged cover.
    Second time I needed an engineer to look at the HD box fault. They sent me two letters confirming the date. Nobody called before 9am on the day so I called Sky and they told me nobody is due that day its been rearranged for the following day. Nice of them to tell me :( :(
    Then when the engineer did turn up all he did was swap the box and the problem was still there. Seems its a software problem which they knew about but didnt tell me.
    I tried to get compensation for my two wasted days holiday, they gave me £5
    for my troubles.

Sky customer service is a disgrace. I`d of left them if there was a decent alternative in my area.

5. chasrc2

chasrc2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not as bad as yourself but on my first install letter they had my old telephone number so I rang and they said that they would change it. Two days later got another install letter still with my old number on it. Rang Sky and they assured me it would be changed. Got a third install letter with my new number on it. Thursday before install, no call from installer. Friday morning 9:30, still no call; 9:40 installer turned up anyway and said he had tried to ring me 6 times...yes, you've guessed it, he had my old number:confused:

He was a thoruoghly decent chap though, cabled everything nicely, did the forced download first, talked me through all the Sky box settings and then stayed 45 minutes to ensure he got through to Sky so that the card was paired, all channels were being received and the old box moved upstairs was working as well.:smashin: