Sky+ Customer Services Willling to let me cancel easily!

Johnboy9876

Just had Sky+ installed today. When I booked the installation I specifically asked for a Pace Decoder Box (following the posts that I have read on this forum and the reliability of the other manufecturers units) and the operator agreed to this at the time. However when the engineer showed up he said that he only had Amstread units on his van.
I allowed him top complete the installation, but after thinking about it for a couple of hours I decided to contact Sky try and sort it out. They gave me a long speech about how the engineers only have certain stock at certain times and so I decided to try and use the 'cancel' option to see if that stirred them into action.
Unbeleivably it looks as if they have called my bluff and sent me a cancellation notice!!!!

Anyone got any ideas as to what to do next????:lease:

obiwan

Novice Member
i was a bit cheesed off when i had a pace box replaced with the ammy around xmas time

i wish i had repaired the pace myself as it was only the hard drive that failed but sky offerred to do send an engineer to repair or replace for only £30.

so he just came and replaced it, interestingly enoufg the first ammy he put in was also faulty but it was ok with the second one.

the ammy is much slower than the pace, but thats all i have experienced with it.

it has never missed a beat with recording and playback, i almost kicked up about it but im gonna get hd anyway in a few weeks hopefully so didnt bother.

its really sloooww when changing channels compared to pace

originally when i first had sky+ i insisted on a pace, as i had first insisted on a panasonic when we first got sky and that went ok

difficult to call, if they have a pace then i would insist they stick to what was agreed

Johnboy9876

Thanks for that Qbiwan. Just had another conversation with Sky, but they deny that you can have any equipment specified for installation and to my mind have reneged on the agreement. however they seem quite happy to let me cancel and come and remover the equipment!!

Anyone else got any thoughts????

John:lease:

Starburst

Novice Member
SKY do not allow you to pick the make of the supplied hardware and as explained it mostly comes down to what the installer has in his van at the time. The CS rep will tell you pretty much whatever it takes to get a sale, shocking but hardly surprising:)

Have you talked to your local sat installer who is SKY authorised?
He will be able to offer you the box of your choice, it may cost a little extra but could be worth it.

blakey1

Novice Member
I was in the same situation. Engineer only had a amstrad to replace my faulty Pace box. I let him fit it and there seems no problems.

Where's the evidence that Pace boxes are so reliable? Ive had a faulty one. So has my dad and brother. I still have a Pace in the bedroom which is noisy. The Amstrad is no noiser than the Pace. The fact that 3 paces out of six have broken within a few months shows to me they are not that reliable.

Unless the Amstrad is faulty why not stick with it until it breaks? There is no evidence that the Paces are more reliable. To be honest I'm sure all the Sky+ are only made to last a year of so.

Both me and my Dad followed the forum and got Pace boxes only for them to develop faults within a couple of months.

To me its all amyth about Pace boxes.

bobsplace

blakey1 said:
I was in the same situation. Engineer only had a amstrad to replace my faulty Pace box. I let him fit it and there seems no problems.

Where's the evidence that Pace boxes are so reliable? Ive had a faulty one. So has my dad and brother. I still have a Pace in the bedroom which is noisy. The Amstrad is no noiser than the Pace. The fact that 3 paces out of six have broken within a few months shows to me they are not that reliable.

Unless the Amstrad is faulty why not stick with it until it breaks? There is no evidence that the Paces are more reliable. To be honest I'm sure all the Sky+ are only made to last a year of so.

Both me and my Dad followed the forum and got Pace boxes only for them to develop faults within a couple of months.

To me its all amyth about Pace boxes.

We must be in a minority, i totally agree with you.

I prefer the Amstrad to my Pace, it seems faster to respond to the remote and i cant hear it at all :confused:

mr_b_at_home

Novice Member
I had an Amstrad but had failed recordings, lockups etc which meant re-booting it about everysecond day. Was going to put up with it until HD arrives but...well you know the rest. Phoned sky to tell them I was unhappy with the Amstrad box. The first thing the technical people said to me to 'fix' it was to switch off instant rewind :eek:

I explained that I used this function, she said that this would be a temporary fix as the next update would sort it. I then asked how long was temporary and was answered with..."emm, not sure".

At this point I demanded a new box, either Pace or Thomson as the Amstrad box was currently 'not fit for purpose' and would not do the things it claimed when it was sold to me.

Anyway to cut a long story short I now have a Thomson one and am waiting to see if there's any improvement over the Amstrad :lease:

Oh, and I also got a credit to my account for the 'distress' caused to me :clap:

Johnboy9876

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm still pretty confused, but maybe i should have just kept my mouth shut and taken the Amstrad box (but oh so many bad memories of any of thier other products):mad:

Don't know:confused:

Astaroth

As all the other posts on here will confirm, unfortunately you cannot pick the brand of box you get.... if you have a first thing in the morning job then you have the best chance of them having more than one brand in their van for you to ask them to swap it to (though they are under no obligation to oblige). The only way you can pick the brand is if you buy a box off the shelf - though needless to say this is much more expensive than the fee that Sky charges.

To be honest what ever brand of sky box/ TV/ DVD player or anything else you put on here you will get half a dozen people saying how great they are and a dozen saying all the problems that they and their friends have had with it. If the box works and you are happy with it then I wouldnt be bothered by what sticker it happens to have on the front.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom