1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ crashing

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Biggles, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if you can help, my Sky+ box crashes almost once a week. We've had the box approximatly 3 month's and it's always done this.

Is this normal?

Should I phone and complain?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    It's certainly crashing far more than mine which does it, at most, once a month. Is the box well ventialted as overheating would certainly cause crashes.

John

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Of course complain. It shouldn't crash that frequently. Mine rarely crashes (twice a year or less).

4. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its in a glass fronted cabinet under the TV, theres a DVD on top but all the vent holes are "free". It carshed on Sunday which wasn't the hottest day recently!

I think it might be time to complain, thank for both of your comments

Biggles

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you're keeping it in an enclosed cabinet with another device, the engineer will laugh at you. There's no point in fitting a Sky box with a fan if you are going to put it into another box without one.

6. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair point,
    but there are four large holes at the back of the cabinet for ventilation.

The unit sits in a bay window and we normally have the windows open.

The Sky engineer fitted the box in the cabinet, if it was the wrong thing to do, why did he do it? Yeah he could have been a numpty but he was the instalation engineer so "should" know what he's doing

If Sky say you can't put these units in a cabinet then there Pap!

As you say the Sky unit has a fan and if the unit was getting hot then the fan should be on all time ( or most of it ) and it isn't, so the unit doesn't think it's hot.

So it's crashing for another reason. It normally crashes if were recording two programs following each other on the same channel. I think the "overlap" period is causing the software to go.

Thank for your last coment as it's helped me work through what Sky might say and how I'll respond. It now sounds like a software problem.