SKY+ crackle when changing from DD to Prologic

S

Steveb

Hi all,

My Sky+ box is connected to my TV's built in Dolby Digital decoder via the optical port. When I switch to a film on a DD enabled channel like Sky premier WS from say BB1 the speakers make a crackle type noise. Once on the channel the sound is fine. It's quite loud and I fear for the speakers. Any one else had this problem? I don't get this problem when turning on the DVD.

Thanks
Steve

Hi

I have the exact same problem with my SKY+ box and Panasonic TX36PB50 TV.

I had a TV engineer out to have a look and he explained that its the TV's fault because the 'TV's AV feed does not have a automatic mute function' or something along those lines.

Like you say when its swapping between DD5.1 and non DD5.1 you can get a quite nasty crackling sound which was quite alarming at first with me thinking that my 1900 quid TV sounds like something I bought for 10 quid from the flea market.

Occasionally I'll get a very minor occurance of it when selecting options from a DVD menu.

So, in my case anyway, the bad news is that you can't prevent it and the good news is that nothing has blown up so it doesn't appear to harm anything.

I used to it now and don't take any notice of it. Hope the above helps

I have the TX28PB50. Under the 'loyalty sceme' today I ordered sky+ and old box relocation with 2nd sub for £199 + £60 install for £15 per month.

The TX28PB50 is my current main tv and I am going to move it into the other room for the 2nd sub and buy a new one for sky+.

I am considering the Panasonic TX32PH40 (http://***********/3brg). Do you think this new model will also crackle?

Thanks
Jon

Originally posted by Andy ARB
Hi

I have the exact same problem with my SKY+ box and Panasonic TX36PB50 TV.

I had a TV engineer out to have a look and he explained that its the TV's fault because the 'TV's AV feed does not have a automatic mute function' or something along those lines.

Like you say when its swapping between DD5.1 and non DD5.1 you can get a quite nasty crackling sound which was quite alarming at first with me thinking that my 1900 quid TV sounds like something I bought for 10 quid from the flea market.

Occasionally I'll get a very minor occurance of it when selecting options from a DVD menu.

So, in my case anyway, the bad news is that you can't prevent it and the good news is that nothing has blown up so it doesn't appear to harm anything.

I used to it now and don't take any notice of it. Hope the above helps

Why don't you try pressing your TVs Mute button before changing on to a DD enabled channel etc.? Give the TV a second or two to sort its electronics out, then release the mute. Yes, there is the inconvenience of having two more button presses, but would avoid the crackle and protect your speakers.

By the way, when doing similar switching between audio formats on a separate AV receiver/amp, there is an automatic mute for a second or so incorporated into the firmware. This prevents the kind of problems that you're experiencing. This is what the engineer was meaning.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom