1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ COPY TO PAN E85 Quality

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dalvin, Apr 8, 2005.

1. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I finally bought a hdd/dvd combo - the pan e85 £250 from richer sounds.. and yesterday was the first time i started to archive stuff off sky+.

I am copying from sky+ to e85 (on xp setting) but i notice that the quality isn't the same as the sky+ quality. There is a slight loss which you can definately see.. the pic is not as sharp etc..

Is this normal or is there something I am doing wrong? I thought XP was the highest setting on the e85, so I figured it would be a lossless copy.

Thanks

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    It can never be lossless, especially when it involves a digital to analogue conversion. The drop in PQ though should be minimal - most people at XP setting wouldn't see it. Are you using scart RGB from Sky to the recorder? If you use s-video or, horrors, composite there will be a noticeable drop in PQ.

3. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i am using a scart connection.
    it's not a drastic loss in PQ but you can tell the diff in sharpness when flicking from AV1 (sky) to AV2 (e85) whilst recording.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Are you recording the output from AV1 on the Sky+ box as that is the best signal to record (RGB). I disconnect my AV1 scart from the TV and plug it into the back of the E85 when recording - I tend to wait until I have a big batch to do so it doesn't become too much of a pain in the bottom. If you are recording the output from AV2 on the Sky+ box the quality will not be as good.

5. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi JohnG,

AV1 is SKY+ (RGB) from the TV
    I can't remember how the e85 is connected, as i just removed my vcr and replaced with the e85 and plugged cables into the back just how the vcr was. will have to check. Hope it's all conntected properly.

What connection methods do you recommend then?

I have 10 hours recording as I type here while I am at work, so I am also going down the "batch" route.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I have Sky+ connected to the TV via AV1.
    My E85 is connected to the TV stand alone as I only record from the SKy+ box onto it. When I want to record onto the E85 I use the AV1 output from Sky+ and connect it to AV2 on the E85 (make sure that AV2 is set to RGB).

7. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    When you say "stand alone" what do you mean? You connected the e85 via scart to AV2 on your tv?

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Yes correct, I have my E85 connected to AV2 on the TV - that way you can still see what you are recording from Sky+. As I have 4 scart inputs on my TV I can afford to split them up like this.

9. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dalvin,
    the AV2 output from sky+ is composite, which is vastly inferior (PQ wise) to the AV1 RGB scart.

Best way to record would be to either , unplug the AV1 from TV and plug into E85 (as mentioned above), or go S-video for the picture and digital interconnect for the sound.

Doc