1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ Copy Function

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Quiznite, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Quiznite

Quiznite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Evening all,

I am sure this has been asked before but I am new here and to home cinema.
    I have sky+ and a panasonic dvd-r . Is there any way I can send one sky output to tv and one to dvd ? So i may playback recorded to hdd progs to dvdr and watch another channel on TV.

Hope this makes sense cos I don't seem to get the copy funtion of sky+ If once its copying I have to watch that channel or have I connected everything back to front as usual ?

Cheers fellas

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Nope:)

Only one decoder stage so whatever is selected (live viewing or streamed from the HD) it gets sent to all the video outputs.

The COPY function gives you some flexibility when doing unattended dumping of the content to an offboard recorder. You can set up multipule recordings which when activated play back in sequence so ideal for when you are asleep or at work and have a number of programs you want on DVD.
    It's not pretty though since it also includes all the padding and an intro scene with the synopsis so if you have a HD/DVD recorder it makes sense to dump to the HD then edit the content for burning onto DVD.

3. Quiznite

Quiznite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Great answer thanks . Yeah I see the benefit of lining up a few episodes and off to bed I go.

Thanks for that.

On another subject now.

I currentley connect Sky to dvdr with monster scart cable would a good s-video improve picture ?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Under normal circumstances you would expect RGB via scart to provide the best possible connection for SKY to any destination. Remember that only the TV scart carries RGB, the VCR scart is composite only.

So if you are using the TV scart and feeding RGB to the DVDR then you should be getting the best signal, if you are using the VCR scart then a s-video cable should give you better results but you will need a seperate audio connection.

5. Voice of Fox

Voice of Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, just connect the TV scart on your Sky+ box to your DVD recorder to get RGB. Then connect your DVD recorder to your TV via the first scart socket on the TV, as usually only the first is RGB-enabled.

That way you can loop through the Sky signal via the DVD recorder and still record in RGB. Don't even bother with the VCR scart on the Sky+ box - it's only worth using that if you are recording to VHS!

Just remember to set your DVD recorder up to receive RGB through the scart input. On mine, (the Sony HX510) it was set to composite video by default for some stupid reason.