sky+ cooling my solution?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by killer10971, Mar 10, 2005.

1. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    after having my pace box come on at night and run hot this is what i did

I put a y connector in at the hard drive power cable and in the spare end a Fan Multi-Connector.

then i removed the expansion plate at the back and blue tacked a 60mm silenx (8db) fan over the hole and plugged the new fan into one of the 12v fan multi connectors (fan is expelling air from within the box)

the new fan runs constantly but is audible silent and since doing this the original sky+ box fan has never come on (i left it connected to the mainboard) , the air coming out is cool and the box is cold to the touch

anyone think i might run into any problems this way

cheers

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Probably a daft question, but has anyone tried swapping the unit top from an Amstrad box with a Pace one to see if the extra ventilation makes any difference to the fan operation? (Or tried drilling holes into the top section of the Pace (while not on the box of course) to improve ventilation?)

The only good thing I could say about my old Amstrad box was that I never heard the fan come on, so it was either completely silent, broken, or the extra vent holes got rid of enough hot air to negate the need for the fan to come on.

3. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apparently the Amstrads are slightly bigger than the PACE boxes, it wouldn't fit in the PACE box when I had mine swapped, so changing the cover might not be an option. I agree thou that the Amstrad was quieter, I just thought it was broken :)

Wackojacko32

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's similar to a mod that I saw, which doesn't actually involve opening the box. All you do is get a low noise PC fan, and place it over the opening where the existing fan blows out. You power the fan from an external DC power adaptor, so no opening of the box necessary. If you use a variable voltage DC adaptor, you can vary the fan speed.