Sky Contractual Issues and 5.1

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dbloor, Nov 26, 2001.

1. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

I am not currently a Sky subscriber so I am not aware of whatever small print they have in their contract and the Sky website is not exactly useful in that respect.

I recently gave ITV Digital the push on account of abysmal customer service and ripping me off consistantly rather than technical issues actually.
    (Interestingly my nokia box has an optical out).

Basically I want Sky and I also want 5.1 when it is available but I do not want the Sky Plus service.
    As I understand it the current regular boxes do not have optical out so if this is introduced I need a new box. I am wary as I have heard that once they give you a box, it is random anyway, and it is jolly hard to change it.

If I sign up now will I be able to get a 5.1 compatable box when the service starts on regular Sky Digital or will I be stuck for the minimum 12 months then have to sign up all over again perhaps without an introductory discount?

Thanks

D

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK 5.1 is only available with the SKY+ package, and they won't be release the non plus version with that facility

3. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok cheers, but if they do unexpectedly do 5.1 on the regular Digital channels (a big if) would I be able to get a box upgrade easily or is that all a bit tricky?

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of the standard digiboxes, only the Sony models have an optical output.

However, it will require a software update specific to the Sony to get an option to select the DD5.1 audio stream instead of the normal audio stream. It is generally thought that sky won't do this, although anything is possible.

If you do want a sony box, you can get them for about £150-£200 and it only takes a phone call to sky to get your card and box married.