1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY connection

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rick1486, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gurus.
    What is the accepted method of connecting a SKY (PACE) box to a pj? Is it a direct connection or does it have to go through another piece of kit?
    Cheers
    Rick

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think the PACE box has an S-video output. This means that you are likely to have an RGBs (RGB + composite sync) output from the SCART connection on the back.

Some projectors might take this. I have a sony HS10 and it won't take RGBs (it will take RGB with sync on green which is different).

The best solution for most people is to buy an RGB-->component video convertor.

This will take the RGBs signal and convert it to a component video signal that many projectors will accept.

Without knowing your specific projector it is difficult to comment further.

J

3. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John_n - just checked the back of the pace digibox and here are the connectors in the order they can be seen from left to right;

POWER
    RS232 (nothing connected)
    DISH INPUT
    VCR SCART
    TV SCART (below vcr scart)
    AUDIO OUT LEFT (white nothing connected)
    RIGHT (red nothing connected)
    RF OUT2 (marked 9v dc 50mA max)
    AERIAL IN
    TELEPHONE LINE

Don't know if this helps u gurus with your advice but thought I'd give u all the info I have.
    As I say I'm looking at either the HS10 or the panny ptae 300

Cheers
    Rick

:)

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately that doesn't really help much because if the box had S-video output (which it doesn't) it could be through the SCART anyway.

Solution I would recommend is using RGB to component convertor. JS electronics do one and it's about £100 I think.

Mind you - just remember that the picture quality on SKY is not supposed to be that good when blown up to wall size. You may want to see what it looks like before bothering.

The HS10 is a very good unit. I have one. The picture is excellent. The disadvantage is the fan noise. I have no idea about the Panasonic unit but I think it got good reviews. I believe it's quieter than the HS10.

Rgds
    John

5. Lynchpin

Lynchpin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the RGB to S-Video convertors at the moment to accomplish exactly what you want to an HS10 and it does work very well indeed. Yes, the convertors from John Sim are better and they are worth the extra expense IMHO.

I also have a Limit 9900SE DVD which is routed through the amp (Pioneer AX10) to give progressive on the PJ which, as I discovered on trying it out for the first time last night, is absolutely superb! The next stage of the "grand plan" is to get the RGB from TiVo converted to YUV and route it the same way to the PJ from the amp.

I also had a Panny PTAE100 and it is a superb little unit, better in many ways to the Toshiba MT1 it replaced however, it is, IMO, beaten by a country mile by the HS10. Personally, running the HS10 in "cinema" mode I don't really notice the extra noise that everyone seems to critisise the unit for and I don't think its really that much noisier than the Panasonic was. All LCD units make a nose, simple fact, and all the modern units I think are acceptable, but maybe that's just me! My original PJ, an old Sharp thing with IIRC 60 ANSI, was *WAY* noiser than the HS10 with 1200ANSI, even allowing for the "cinema" mode it will still be over ten times brighter, yet quieter.

Things you really notice about the HS10 over the PT100 are the seemingly total lack of screendoor on the HS10 and the colours, to me at least, seem very rich by comparison. The blacks also seem far better IMO.

In effect, it's horses for courses, I find it perfectly acceptable noise wise, picture wise I won't even critisise the HS10.

K.

6. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Lads, the dvd I've got is a JVC XV-N5SL which states that it's got component outputs as well as scart, svideo etc. so I hope that it'll be man enough for the job lol.
    Cheers
    Rick
    :smashin: