1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY connection to VCR - poor picture

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pmangeles, Nov 24, 2003.

1. pmangeles

pmangeles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Got a real strange problem here !!!!

When I connect my SKY digibox to my TV (scart leads), I get a really great picture.

However, when I connect it to a VCR (or via my DVD), the picture quality is pretty poor :(

If I connect it to the TV and then connect my TV to my VCR the recording is great.

Basically, the problem is that unless I connect my didgibox directly to my TV the picture is poor. This means that in order to record something I need to leave the TV switched on (otherwise there is no output signal).

Digibox ==> TV = great picture
    Digibox ==> VCR ==> TV = poor picture
    Digibox ==> DVD ==> TV = poor picture
    Digibox ==> TV ==> VCR = great picture

The question is how can I connect my Digibox to my VCR without going via my TV first (since I then need to leave the tv on in order to record). All my connections are via scart leads.

All ideas and suggestions warmly welcomed.

Many thanks,

Rob

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Have you tried altering the signal output from the Sky reciever to composite rather than RGB to see if this shows an improvement ?

3. pmangeles

pmangeles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lynx,

Many thanks for your post. I have tried altering many of the picture settings, but to no avail.

The picture quality always appears to be poor unless the Digibox is connected directly to the TV. Any device inbetween appears to cause the picture to mess up, but no one appears to be able to fathom out why !!!

I have a few techie friends and they are as bemused as me. One of them got quite upset and kept on insisting that it had to work ok as it was the same output signal from the Digibox regardless as what it was connected to.

He came around and spent several hours trying to figure it out - he is still mystified....

Best suggestion so far was from a non-techie friend who suggested that perhaps the Digibox signal was weaker then anything else, and the tv was somehow boosting the signal. If you connected it to anything else the signal output from the device was dropping further.

Sounds a lot of cobblers, but no one I know has come up with anything better yet.

4. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Don't know if you've seen my posting just after yours but perhaps not much can be done. The engineer was about to make excuses to me, but my vid is going upstairs. Perhaps Sky may be able to help.

5. pmangeles

pmangeles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stowitbelow,

I haven't seen your posting yet, but I'll certainly have a look.

The annoying thing for me is that I can get a really good picture, but only if I connect my digibox directly to my TV and not via anything else first (such as my VCR or DVD player).

I get the same good picture on my VCR if I connect the Digibox to the TV and then connect the TV to the VCR, but the signal is only output when the tv is actually switched on, which kind of defeats the purpose of recording a programme when your out (I need to leave the tv on as well !!!!)

It just doesn't make sense :(

6. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    When I had my original Sky I was told not to feed it through my vid, but as you say, any other way means leaving the TV on to record Sky - crap idea. The vid has a signal booster that may be causing the problem. I'm afraid I've no answers. My original box went through the VCR ok even though I had other problems & had to keep unplugging the Sky from the vid & pluging it into the TV for the engineers visit!

7. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Another thought, when linking via scart I'm sure I had some "issues" & I didn't connect them that way ( the way you want to), however eventualy one of my vids was on a link, so through an RF connection, and phonos, (for stereo) & was never any bother.

8. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should connect the VCR to the VCR scart on the Digibox. Then connect the TV scart on the Digibox to the RGB enabled scart on the TV. Set the Digibox to output RGB.

This will allow you to watch $ky with the best possible picture quality (sorry it can't do anything for the program quality though :rolleyes:).

You will also be able to record from $ky and watch the VCR using pass-thru on the Digibox. Composite Video.

If your DVD also has two scarts (with RGB pass-thru) you can connect them all together thus:

VCR => Digibox => DVD => TV
    or VCR => DVD => Digibox => TV

If you are using RF then the connections should be:

Antenna => Digibox => VCR => TV

And make sure the RF channels being output by the Digibox & VCR don't clash with the TV channels in your area.

Hope this helps.