Sky+ connection to a PC ??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by xanthos, Oct 2, 2004.

1. xanthos

xanthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a DVD recorder, but would like to be able to burn my Sky+ recordings to dvd.

Can I connect my Sky+ box to my pc or laptop and download the data to my hdd, or is this not possible?

Thanks

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Xanthos
    yes you can , you need a capture solution, to take the video information from the Sky box and transfer it to PC. You can get an SVideo card for around £30, or you can spend £150 ex VAT for either a high end RGB analogue capture card - basically the best that you can get with a standard Sky box. Finally, if you want the *best*, you can get a completely digital video path from Sky to PC.

have a look in our store for more information, or drop me a line if you have any questions.

best regards

3. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do Sky have to say about you modding the boxes to allow digital output? I would have thought they would be none too happy.

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well the usual reason an organisation is unhappy about after market modifications is if they are designed to circumvent copy protection - as has been the case with the numerous modifications available for games consoles.

This is a *completely* different situation. The whole ethos of the modification, and the type of customer that buys them, is the type of customer Sky wants to attract and retain. These SDI boxes really showcase what is possible from the Sky platform - and illustrate that in many cases the picture quality is actually very good - the limitations have come from the necessary economics of delivering a set top box platform at a price that is viable for 99% of the market. To illustrate this we have had a customer today say that he now actually uses Sky Box office rather than rent DVDs, and this is somone using a high end CRT projector and video processor combination so he is demanding about good picture quality!

I guess your comments are aimed at the 'bit perfect archiving' - but this would be of no interest to pirates as they get all their material months before it is ever shown on Sky, and in any case most video pirates and their target audience have zero interest in picture quality, so wouldnt be interested in this.

regards