1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Connection Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by enigma2099, Feb 17, 2005.

1. enigma2099

enigma2099
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've had a search and cannot find anything which has been able to answer my question so here goes.

I've currently got the following connections and was expecting a difference in picture quality between outputting Sky as PAL and outputting as RGB but the picture is exactly the same.

SKY (TV Output) > E55 (AV1)
    E55 (Component Out) > AMP
    AMP > PWD7 (Component)

I've tried a number of combinations of settings on the E55 but either end up with a picture and no sound or a picture which is mainly green! I'm thinking it may be because of the component output that there is no difference but to be honest I have no idea.

Any help would be great! :)

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i had the same set up b4 getting js converter but i connected the video out on sky to av2 on e55 and then component to pw7...was fine.

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Are you connecting to the VCR scart on the Sky box instead of the TV one ? RGB should be noticeably sharper and richer looking than the PAL output.

Mike.

4. enigma2099

enigma2099
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mep and Flimber,

I gave AV2 a try also and no difference. I can get a picture as long as the E55 settings for AV1/AV2 are set to Video and not RGB. Also tried both the component and RGB setting on the PWD7.

And yep, definitely connecting to the TV out scart on the SKY box rather than the VCR one...

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i'm not near mine to check it but I'm sure i used the vcr out of sky and got good results.
    Either way I can highly recommend the js rgb to vga converter as an alternative with much higher pq.

6. enigma2099

enigma2099
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the RGB to Component (YUV) Converter just as good as the RGB to VGA converter?

I'm still not sure why I am seeing the same picture quality from both RGB and PAL on the sky box though!

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you keep the colour controls with the rgb to component route but I haven't felt the need for them going the vga route anyway, it really is v good pq.
    I agree you would expect to see some difference between pal and rgb...maybe its the amp to screen bit that effects it?...have you tried going direct e55 to pwd7?

8. enigma2099

enigma2099
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mep. Hadn't though of E55 direct to screen so will give that one a try tonight.

I would probably look at the RGB to Component route as these leaves the VGA slot on the screen available for PC input and also means I can do all the switching through the amp...

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    unless you are upscaling a composite signal i don't believe that going via the amp adds anything other than an additional link. I'm sure the rgb to component route will be equally excellent as rgb2vga.

10. enigma2099

enigma2099
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

The amp will allow me to have the component signal from both the E55 and SKY (when I go for the JS Converter) going into the amp and then to the single component board on the PWD7.

If going direct to the screen with the E55 component fixes things then I'll be even more confused! But hopefully I'll get there in the end. I'll see how I get on tonight! ;)

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    good luck....let me know how it goes

12. enigma2099

enigma2099
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I unplugged everything, started again, worked my way through the E55 settings and as if by magic it worked! Not really sure where I had gone wrong but it's fixed which is the main thing. :clap:

Thanks again for all the help :thumbsup:

13. ian.webb

ian.webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enigma

I’m just about to purchase a similar setup to you, in that I will have a single component board in the PW7 which is connected to the E55 which in turn will be connected to Sky+.

What is the PQ like of Sky which will be the majority of my viewing and does the E55 have to be switched on all the time?

Secondly, do you have a lip-sync problems with Sky?

14. enigma2099

enigma2099
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,

The picture quality of SKY varies from channel to channel but for the majority of channels I watch is very good. The fact that I can get a good quality picture shows that when there is any drop in PQ is all down to the broadcast rather than the PWD7/E55. I plan to get myself a JS Converter at some point which will hopefully improve things even further.

As far as I know I do have to have the E55 on all the time but haven't really had much of a chance to play with this as yet. As for lip-sync problems, I haven't seen any - I'm using the optical out on the E55 into the amp for this.

If you have any other questions that I can help with please just ask :)

15. ian.webb

ian.webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Enigma.

The only difference to your setup will be that I will be using an Optical cable direct from Sky+ to my amp which will allow me to take advantage of Sky movies in Dolby 5.1 surround sound.

My budget is really tight and my biggest concern is the lip-Sync problem. I really can’t afford a new amp with delay functionality at the moment.

Like you I also considered buying the JS VGA converter but I don’t like the fact that you loose control over the colour settings.

I look forward to see if the JS to component improves the PQ any when you get it.

16. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had no problems with lip sync when connecting Sky+ > E65 > amp and taking optical audio from the E65 to the amp.

However, when I tried to also connect optical audio from Sky+ to amp (to get the DD on Sky movies) I have experienced considerable lip sync. It seems the E65 slows down the video whilst the audio fast tracks straight to the amp.

I'm waiting on a JS converter to take Sky+ and audio directly to amp.