1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Connection Details

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by GarethRamsay, Oct 25, 2003.

1. GarethRamsay

GarethRamsay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, my year (of hell) with NTL is finally drawing to a close and I've ordered Sky+. I'm very interested in the connections, though. If anyone can help, it would help me immensely.

Do two, separate cables run from the minidish to the back of the STB, and if so why? Can't it simply split the signal once it enters? If there are two cables, are these standard digital TV cables?

I ask as I have all my gear in a cupboard nowhere near where the Sky will come in to the house and I have cables running under the floor via faceplates which the digital TV screws in to at both ends.

Thanks

Gareth

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY+ has twon tuners and they must have independent feeds so they can recieve all the channels. Satellite channels are transmitted with two polarities and two bands, the LNB on the dish selects these options via commands from the tuner.
    That is why for practical purposes you can not have a single cable carrying both signals.

However SKY installers can use a shotgun cable which is two seperate cable in a single sheath, neater but is not recommended for very long cable runs. Installers I believe use CT100 cable for digital satellite, not sure what relation this is to cabling used for other platforms.