Sky+ Con When Changing Subscription

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Numptys-Numnuts, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Numptys-Numnuts

Numptys-Numnuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all.

This is my first post on this Forum and has a great deal of info but couldn't find much related to my issue or I may have not been using the correct words for which I appologise.

We have been subscribers to Sky for nearly 7 years and have for that period had the full package. When multi room came out we went about upgrading to a Sky+ Multi-Room package. After the recent changes to the Sky package especially the movies we decided to downgrade our package and do away with the movies and sports. We felt that £56 was a waste and that by opting for a 4 mix selection for £29 would suit us better.

What has resulted in the past 4 hours is our viewing preferences changed (Fantastic well done Sky for prompt service). However we now have 2 Sky+ boxes full of programmes (movies and sport) we have paid for that we can no longer view.

We called Sky to enquire and stated that we believe we can no longer view as we do not pay for the service even though the items in question have already been paid for. We were told by Sky's superviser that this was not the case it was because we no longer subscribed to theses channels so we could no longer watch them. :lease:

We were also told that perhaps we should have bought a DVD Recorder to remove these programmes from the Sky+. Now the can anyone explain to me apart from the difference in Media and possible format type i.e. HDD and DVD the actual difference in storage. Also if this was the major issue why have we got the KEEP option on a Sky+.

I just feel a bit cheated in that we had a service recorded bits at our leisure to watch when we wanted to and now because no one actually told us and the fact the Sky+ box is not that smart we have a couple of hard drives full of info we can no longer view.

Has this happened to others and if so is there a work around?

2. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    There is no work round. A valid subscription is required to view a channel either live or recorded. It has been reported many times across the forums.

Conversely you can record channels you do not subscribe to now and later upgrade your subscription and then view them. Your present recordings if you do not delete them will be viewable if ever you upgrade your subscription again.

3. Numptys-Numnuts

Numptys-Numnuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    davemurgatroyd2 thanks for the reply.

My searches obviously did not have the same words in it :oops:

I'm just annoyed in the fact that I do not possess a DVD recorder. The video recorder is long gone and no one at sky told us when we were doing it that this would happen. If we had known we would not have given the go ahead this evening for it to be done within 4 hours as we had paid for the month but they are creditting it back. I could have gone out and got a DVD recorder and got it all off as they are not mega expensive and left it to run out at month end. They have said we cannot change it now for a month but am concerned that if we say we want the Movies and Sport back we will end up being stuck with it for 12 months which we do not really want.

4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Packages can be upgraded or downgraded every 30 days.

5. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I can't speak for what one of sky's cs people may of siad on the phone as they often either lie or don't know what they are talking about but the sky terms and conditions defintely state 'a current subscription is necessary for the playback of recorded material'. Or in other words you can't watch anything you are not currently subsribed to even if you recorded it while you were.

This is the reason for the mention of a dvd recorder etc because if you transfer the recordings off the sky+ to dvd or video tape or other media etc while you have the subscription then unsubcribe you can of course watch your dvd or tape etc copy for as long as you wish.

6. alternate

alternate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CS drone should have informed you when you phoned to downgrade. Mine did but the nitwit tried to convince me the programs would be deleted automatically. I just said "yeah, whatever".

7. denis1501

denis1501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not quite corrrect. You can upgrade at any time.
    regards
    D.