Sky Communal tv system loft - no ladder

Daveyboy1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m due to have sky q installed shortly. I live in a small block of flats (under 10)

Sky asked that I contact building manager etc to ensure they could access relevant area of where the system is located etc. I’ve done all of this and appears the system is in the roof space with access from loft hatch.

Just had a quick look and doesn’t appear there is a ladder in the loft. I tried contact sky directly and asked if the engineer would definitely go into loft space as didnt want a wasted journey for them and there response seemed favourable towards them entering loft space.

Not sure if sky use other companies for communal (MDU) installations but worried that as I cannot see a fixed or pull down ladder that it would cause an issue.

Has anyone else had this same situation and was they able to still sort it?

What is the "system" ?
If you have a dish with a Q LNB you're OK, if not you're not.

What is the "system" ?
Sorry not sure what you mean?

Our building has one shared dish which is called a communal tv system as al flats have satellite feeds which come from that one dish.

Afaik the communal system (wiring and connections for dish to flats) is in the loft space and hoping the engineer will be able to still go up there to sort sky q for us.

He won't be able to do anything. If the existing LNB is Q then you're OK, if not you're not.

He won't be able to do anything. If the existing LNB is Q then you're OK, if not you're not.
Hi, sorry but this is incorrect. I’ve already been told by sky and others that communal set ups are different. The engineer has a plug in device that fits between my cables and the main communal board. Sky even show this on there website and show the device that they will install so it’s a bit different to a normal sky q at a house etc.

Interesting. Please link to Web site

This is website. If you go to the FAQs, it gives info on the plugin adaptor they will fit so it’s not this that’s the issue but just want to know if they will attend the loft space to check the system and add the plug in adaptor as like I say, cannot see a ladder etc on loft.

Thanks, that's very interesting. It looks like you better discuss it again with management.

This is website. If you go to the FAQs, it gives info on the plugin adaptor they will fit so it’s not this that’s the issue but just want to know if they will attend the loft space to check the system and add the plug in adaptor as like I say, cannot see a ladder etc on loft.

Cant see anything there about an adapter. Sorry found it.

Only 2 of those can be installed on any one installation, it needs 4 feeds from the switch normally each flat is allocated 2, and last but not least they can cause issues with the rest of the installation to the other flats.

Would defiantly talk to landlord / management company.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry yes I know about the adaptors as have already researched and spoken with the property management company who are fine with the install. Also, I’ve read over at sky forums that the adaptor does give access to sky q for 2 residents but apparently a further adaptor can be installed if there’s room etc meaning that a further 2 people can have it.
Apparently it shouldn’t cause any issues to any other residents when installed.

Anyway, as I say, I’m not actually querying this adaptor as I’ve already researched that and have the relevant information regarding that.
My issue was that it’s located in loft area of the building and just wanted to know if anyone had experience with sky entering the loft space of building, especially if no ladder is present.

That will probably be down to the individual installer, and what the access is like to get a ladder in, how safe it is to use a ladder (is the hatch over stairs etc.

no way to really answer

Yeah, thought that may be case. Guess just need to be patient and keep fingers crossed that the installer will be ok to look at it.

Thank you all.

We do carry ladders to access the lofts for communal systems, as long as the signal levels are fine we should be able to install the sky Q box no problem, I do mdu installs for sky and we carry all the adapters we need to do your job.

I assume then it’s quite common for communal systems to be in loft areas? I also take it that not many lofts have pull down ladders and you can just pop a ladder up there to have a look?

Last edited by a moderator:
It does depend on the size of the block or who installs it, You can sometimes have multiple locations for the switches in lofts or riser cupboards for high rises. I have even seen them behind false walls on landings😂
Yeah it’s very common for them not to have pull down ladders, the ma like to keep the systems in places where people won’t go and unplug or fiddle with it.

Ours is only a smaller block of about 7 flats. Property manager believes it to be in loft area. I’ve already checked the service cupboards etc and nothing in any of those regarding tv system etc.
thanks again.

Just a quick update.

Sky came today and fitted sky q. Connections were all in loft and no issues whatsoever.

Thank you all for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom