SKY+ Communal Dish

N

nanookles

Hi All,

Yes, this has been asked before but, I really need to try and understand where to go next.

I have recently moved into a flat with a communal dish between 4 properties.

Only a single feed. I am using my Sky+ box with the limited use a single feed gives.

The management company have told me that they will "never" upgrade to SKY+ which I believe to be extremely short sighted.

So a few questions:

a) Can this stacker/destacker be fitted without having to deal with the management company. I.E. can I get a dodgey satallite bloke to come along in the dead of night and "sort me out"?
b) I have seen these little widgets for £2.99 to split one feed into two. Will this give me any additional benefit at all? Primarily to allow the box to change channels itself and so that I can get Hallmark (sad I know but I like it)
c) In extremis can I get a stand mounted dish so that I can just point it out of the window and enjoy the full benefits of Sky+?
d) Anything else that would help? Apart from moving.

Any advice will be very much appreciated and rewarded with a big girlie kiss on the bottom :)

You could try buying the freehold, along with the other flats - this would mean the end of the management company, or you could see whether the other flats would like sky+, and try and badger the management company into providing sky+

Nice idea unfortunately a lot of us are renting so that would not be possible. Also, the management company have stated that they will never upgrade to Sky+. I believe this is on the basis that whilst the dish on my block services only 4 dwellings, the management company manage over 1000 so that would mean a lot of work to them, and it would appear these days that companys are not interested in making money, given they have been offered the full cost of the upgrades, including rerouting of additional cables etc.

nanookles said:
Nice idea unfortunately a lot of us are renting so that would not be possible. Also, the management company have stated that they will never upgrade to Sky+. I believe this is on the basis that whilst the dish on my block services only 4 dwellings, the management company manage over 1000 so that would mean a lot of work to them, and it would appear these days that companys are not interested in making money, given they have been offered the full cost of the upgrades, including rerouting of additional cables etc.

I've had this exact same discussion with my management company and they explained that eventually they would upgrade to Sky+ but it was unlikely to be in the next year (and I'm sure I'll probably be moving out by then). I was quoted £150 for rerouting of cables for my flat and there are six in my block alone so the management company aren't really interested right now.

nanookles said:
c) In extremis can I get a stand mounted dish so that I can just point it out of the window and enjoy the full benefits of Sky+?

yes. Me and a mate had a flat in a block without sky provisions. The line of sight to the satellite was in his bedroom so we ended up getting a 1metre dish on a stand to overcome loss of signal through the double glazing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom