Sky+ & Communal Dish Saga

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by nanookles, Mar 19, 2006.

1. nanookles

nanookles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usual story, single feed to Sky+.

Naturally one could not record whilst watching another channel etc etc.

However, for 3 quid I just bought a single F to double F splitter supposidly for 1 dish and two standard Sky box's.

Before, with the single feed I could not get some channels, notably Hallmark (sad I know but they have some good films).

Now I can get Hallmark, which for me at least is worth the 3 quid for the widget.

However, I still cannot record one channel whilst watching another, although I do not think I was really expecting to be able to do this anyway.

Any comments on anything which can be done at all?

At least I got one of the channels I wanted, but was just wondering if I will actually be able to get any other benefit.

2. unheardof

unheardof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Satellite dishs don't work like aerials. You CANNOT split the signal. Doing so and using two boxes/two inputs on a SKY+ at the same time can damage the parts involved

The receiver contols the LNB on the dish electronically (The block on the arm of the dish).

The only way the sky+ would work correctly is with a second satellite feed. See if you can lobby for landlord to get your own dish or a lnb with more outputs.

Regarding the appearance of hallmark it would appear that the f connector was not installed correctly in the first place. Try it again without the block.

3. nanookles

nanookles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a single feed, even with using different cables and all screwed in tightly Hallmark and others do not work. Using this splitter, Hallmark and others do work.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Suggest you lobby the maintenance company to correct the fault at the head end and run you an extra feed

5. nanookles

nanookles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Already tried that. They have stated that it will never happen. And that is after me offering to pay for the entire block to be upgraded.

6. unheardof

unheardof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    V. strange. Don't know why it would do that really?

As a note do you have a window facing south? It smacks of desparation but you could set up your own dish / twin lnb on a tripod in front of it

7. nanookles

nanookles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, and it is something I have considered. Is this something that a normal satallite installer would do for me?

My only concern is that if I bang the tripod with the hoover and put the dish out of alignment. Are they easy to re-align?

The only other problem I can think of is my windows are like casement windows so they arent a single sheet of glass, they are like about 10 x 7 inches each. If that makes any sense.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    you can get discrete options like feed horns and squarials see Satcure and similar for more ideas...

9. nanookles

nanookles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but can I please ask what Satcure is?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  11. unheardof

unheardof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Regarding the tripod, get a cheap satellite metre or use the one built into the sky box. I've set one up using the built in one. Took a while but i did it in the end.

Best mark the floor with some clear sticky tape to remember its position (crude i know)

12. nanookles

nanookles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies, I will look into this and see what I can do.

Isn't it a shame that we have to go to these lengths just to get access to something we pay for. I wonder if Sky will ever consider those who are stuck in the dark ages with only one feed :(