1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky coaxial - better or worse?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Wapping, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Wapping

Wapping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I changed the coaxial cable connecting my sky box to the wall socket with a QED cable.

Though the picture overall seems to have improved on certain channels that used to have a poor picture (I am presuming those with less bandwidth) the picture now freezes or has lots of pixalation. Is it possible that the overall picture has improved but the cable is less forgiving of a poor signal or am I deluding myself (having spent the cash) and that the freezing is actually a result of the resulting signal being lower quality?

2. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Imagine the cable run as a whole from dish to box. Your not going to improve much by changing the quality of the last metre or two of that cable run if the previous 20M or so is of a poorer quality.

I would be tempted to have the dish re-alligned.

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Wapping,
    which cable did you change over? If it's the one at any point from the dish down, I wouldn't change that at all. The cable that's used as standard is ideal, a poorer quality lead would result in a loss of picture etc.

And if it's the TV RF out from Sky, I'd be looking to use a different means to connect this to your TV.

All the best,

Dr John Sim

4. Wapping

Wapping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a flat, with a wall mounted connection plate containing TV, FM radio and Sky connection sockets.

I replaced the cable connecting the wall socket to the sky box with QED QUNEX STV F PLUG TO F PLUG COAX LEAD, to quote the brochure: "Highest quality double screened Silver Reference cable with two F connectors for use between satellite set top boxes and the wall socket."

Sky box is connected to the TV using good 75ohm cable and scart.

The main Sky channels (i.e Sky news, Sky one, movie channels) are near-perfect but certain channels (i.e. some of the music channels) now have pixalation and the screen freezes whereas before they had some pixalation and were grainy but were watchable and did not freeze.

Can the picture be improved, but the pixelation be worse or is this wishful thinking?