• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky+ coax ok for SkyHD?

bgmill

Standard Member
I've currently got Sky+ so have two coax runs from the dish to my lounge - the only problem being that they're to a wall socket and the cables are chased & plastered.

I'm thinking of upgrading to SkyHD but need to know if the existing coax is capable of handling the HD signal? (it was installed by the Sky engineer when the Sky+ was fitted so I don't know the brand/spec).

Thanks.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
If the Sky+ box is receiving a good signal through both cables, it'll be fine for Sky HD as well. Sky only replace the cabling if it needs to be replaced - the same cabling is used for both Sky SD and Sky HD. It is the box itself which allows it to receive high definition channels, not the cables connecting the box to the dish.

bgmill

Standard Member
Thanks for the info - it was a friend of mine that told me the coax was not up to scratch as his got replaced during his Sky+ to skyHD upgrade. I guess his wiring was just crappy :)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom