Sky Coax Adaptors

ollyitfc

Hi!

I'm currently in the middle of building my basement cinema.

My Basement HT...Starts Here!

I'm laying my cable runs, and have no clue on my Sub location as yet. Fortunately Sky have left me two spools of their finest Coax. Two questions,

1) Can I just buy adapters for the ends to fit into my Sub/Amp, if so which ones do I need,

2) If I got the Sky man to fit his Sky fittings, would it be better to just use screw in adapters....unless they are the same fittings (I've no clue, as it is my first Sub, and I'm yet to receive it! REL T9i?)

Thanks V Much!
Olly

Kev Greenhalgh

Just buy an RCA to RCA cable for about £2.00 from CPC, Maplin, Ebay, Amazon. There's no messing about then. :)

ollyitfc

Just buy an RCA to RCA cable for about £2.00 from CPC, Maplin, Ebay, Amazon. There's no messing about then. :)
If thats all they are! I was thinking I was onto a winner with free cable! Will the shielding matter seeing as electrical circuits run at 60Hz and it will be crossing a lot of power cables?

Kev Greenhalgh

You could just get the cheapo at first. Once everything is in place, later on, and if you feel the need to, you can "upgrade" to something else. The normal RCA to RCA cables are just fine and shouldn't suffer from any interference (I say shouldn't, but you never really know).
:)

ollyitfc

You could just get the cheapo at first. Once everything is in place, later on, and if you feel the need to, you can "upgrade" to something else. The normal RCA to RCA cables are just fine and shouldn't suffer from any interference (I say shouldn't, but you never really know).
:)
No Can Do. I'm soundproofing the room, and the AV equipment will be set outside the room itself, and I won't be fitting power sockets, except one surface mounted for the PJ. Once the cables are in and sealed, then they can't be changed. I've got to get it right first time, so the length of the RCA/Coax, will allow me to plasterboard etc, and position the Sub once the room is finished. Thanks, Olly

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
60Hz electrics - think you have more to worry about than the cost of an RCA2RCA cable :)

No sockets - are you having a 'component' person fit the electrics and are you aware of building regs relative to being able to isolate kit?

Joe

ollyitfc

60Hz electrics - think you have more to worry about than the cost of an RCA2RCA cable :)

No sockets - are you having a 'component' person fit the electrics and are you aware of building regs relative to being able to isolate kit?

Joe
There will be no need for sockets in the room itself. The 60Hz thing was something I read and can apparently cause speakers humming?? The electrics are all fitted, I don't touch electrics or water! The original sockets for the "AV equipment room/Theatre porch" allow for 8 sockets in one place. The room was previously an office and the room itself has its own isolation on the circuit board. I don't want any recessed fittings in the room itself. I can run 2 lots of Sub mains from that room without the need for a socket, just a small hole that I can seal. I've ordered a 10m RCA cable, but ultimately will probably need 15m, and run the 10m one as a backup for future upgrading to 2 subs if required.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'There will be no need for sockets in the room itself.' - have you checked your local building regs? You may require a local isolation switch for your wall/ceiling mounted TV/Projector.

'The 60Hz thing was something I read and can apparently cause speakers humming??' - if you are in the UK everything is 50Hz.

'cause speakers humming?' - it is usually the Sub you have to worry about when it comes to Hum.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom