Sky cinema hdr not working

jimjam75

Novice Member
I have recently upgraded my sky Q box so I can enjoy movies in hdr but I cannot seem to get the hdr to work on any of the advertised hdr movies.
The gangs of lemur works in hdr but nothing else does, does any one know what’s going on on or how to sort this out?
I’m running the latest sky q box going through a Sony str dn 1080 being fed to a 65ag8 Sony oled.
I have no issues from any other sources running hdr whether it’s Dolby vision or hdr10 or whatever hdr my PS4 pro uses but the supposed new sky q box will not play any of the advertised hdr content in hdr.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What happens if you bypass the AVR with the SKYQ signal?

Joe

jimjam75

Novice Member
Hi joe I’m not sure why bypassing would change anything considering the sky documentary the gangs of lemur displays in hdr with my set up as is?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
So there is no problem then :)

As above I’d try the Source direct to the TV to prove everything which should be HDR works as required.

Joe

TJT1

Hi joe I’m not sure why bypassing would change anything considering the sky documentary the gangs of lemur displays in hdr with my set up as is?
It's called a process of "cause possibility elimination". This is a tried and tested method of fault finding. Then you can say "It's 100% not that, so must look elsewhere." For instance are you 100% sure that the source is actually HDR even though Sky says it is?

jimjam75

Novice Member
Good morning guys and thank you for all your responses, I have solved the issue and it was as simple as checking the software version of my new sky q box which I’ve had for only 6 days.
i assumed it would of shipped with the latest software but it didn’t so for anyone else not seeing uhd in hdr on sky q check your software version first. Seems that if it’s not up to date it will not download the movie encoded with hdr only the non hdr version and I also noticed after updating this morning that it now shows a hdr logo by the movies that have it. Hope this helps others !

So if there was previously no HDR flag showing, why did you expect it to download in HDR? Never assume anything ships with the latest software, in fact it probably doesn't.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
That's one of the first things the Sky installers are supposed to do, update the software.

jimjam75

Novice Member
@JayCee this was an exchange box delivered by dpd as I had the old 2tb non hdr box and wanted a new hdr box so assumed it would arrive totally up to date

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've came across Sky boxes posted out to Sky Subscribers with a sticker on or a note stating to update the software straight away after connections are made.

jimjam75

Novice Member
To be honest I didn’t look at the box as I popped home from work to meet the delivery guy and then quickly installed it and then went back to work. That was Monday of this week,I will however see if any of the instructions tell you to check the software version or if it’s on the box

jimjam75

Novice Member
That was the only sticker stating the software version, how would I know that this wasn’t the latest version to support hdr without googling it

Attachments

• 01B9B180-9BEA-46F8-929C-711D9C196334.jpeg
    01B9B180-9BEA-46F8-929C-711D9C196334.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 33

JayCee

Distinguished Member
That software version is out of date.
Latest version is Q140.000.37.00L
You can update it through the settings menu.

jimjam75

Novice Member
Thanks Jaycee, that’s what I did first thing this morning and it sorted out my issue. Bit crap that the box didn’t come with the latest software version

DKI

That software version is out of date.
Latest version is Q140.000.37.00L
You can update it through the settings menu.

Sometimes it takes weeks for them to roll out to boxes. It took a few weeks before my box downloaded the Q140 update when I did it manually. Not sure how sky choose their roll out but they seem to love to take their sweet time doing it as I saw in the forums others mention it and I could not download it till sky made it available. Just kept pressing that software update once a day until it installed the new version. Seems like they love doing the update in batches. Well I was checking when the version prior to Q140.000.37.00L came out as well so I seemed to of skipped a Q140 update.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom