1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky charging me 'cause my second box is not calling home !

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MacReady, Aug 28, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I had sky+ multiroom installed in February this year with my exsisting Pace Digibox moved to the bedroom and the + box in the living room.

About three months ago we got a letter saying that we had agreed to the 12 months contract....all boxes must be connected to a phone line....blah blah blah.

I knew the upstairs box was not conncted as I had been intending to get a new extension line and fit it neatly...so I got the stuff and then forgot about it.

A month later and the second letter arrived which gave me a kick up the backside so I installed the telephone extensions and checked to make sure the digibox saw a telephone connection, which it did.

A couple of days ago another letter dropped saying they were charging me the full price of a second subscription due to the fact that I still did not have the boxes connected to the telephone lines :mad:

I called up the technical support :rolleyes: and spoke to a guy who said that thge letters were not very clear and that, even though the boxes ARE both connected and both see a telephone connection, they may have other problems that they would need to check.

He looked at my account and said I had two issues, one was that the + box was not able to call back possibly due to a withheld number. This is true so he took me through the service menu to add the prefix to sort this.

He then said that the second box had not made a succesfull call back since June this year(so it HAS been calling back!) so I checked all the lines and filters and then checked that the second box saw the line as busy whilst I was on the phone...and it did.

He said he would send a cdall back and to ring them back yesterday...I did and they said it had still not worked. They are trying again and I have to call them back again today but they sayd the next step if this does not work is to get an engineer out and, if the box is faulty, it may incure a charge plus the double subscription charge will apply :mad:

Everything else is working fine and and I am really annoyed about this. If an engineer comes out and simply decides it is the digibox I am going to have to buy a new box plus pay the extra subscription this month even though everything else is working OK and it is just the call back that is not working....and then what happens if I get a new box and this keeps happening..what are the chances of re imbursment from Sky?

Has anyone else had this kind of problem ?

2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    I had the same thing but mine was due to the 2nd box being faulty. I called them before I got the final letter though and they sent an engineer out.

He is a great guy and changed the modems in both boxes ( + and normal ) and didn't charge at all. However he is a bit of a star as he had already swapped my original sky box for a new one when we had + (and multiroom) installed and never told sky, so no charge.

The modems seem a real weak link in these boxes as I have had 3 go in about 6 months. Maybe I have a bad line or something...

I would get the engineer they only charge if you agree to the replacement or repair so you can decide whilst they are there. You may be lucky and get an engineer like mine :)

3. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    You were lucky to get an engineer. Most of the installers employed by sky don't hold an engineering degree and can, at best, be classed as "technicians" who know just enough to turn a screwdriver.

MacReady, the usual cause of modem failure is a voltage surge on the phone line caused by lightning (which could have struck miles away from your house). Best remedy is to fit a phone line surge protector. There's one already fitted to every BT master jack but it's often too slow to catch a fast risetime spike.

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    But if the engineer says that a repair or replacement is needed and I have to pay for that then I hav to agree or I will end up with the second account charge :(

It just seems so unfair as there is no other effect of this other than the box cannot phone home.

5. chris220883

chris220883

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They sent me the same letters! Granted i had taken the telephone line out because i didnt have enough cable. So when i received the letters i thought i had better do something about it. So i got it all connected up and check both boxes and they both said "Telephone line connected" i thought that would be it. A week or so later another letter landed on my doorstep syaing they were going to charge be blah blah blah please call this number if you are still experiencing problems. So i phoned up, they guided me through the same steps i had gone through. When they tried to to a call back it was still saying that the second box wasn't connect.

At this point i was pulling my hair out! The the penny dropped.... i have broadband! The connection i was using was in the 'computer side' and not the telphone line. Bingo problem solved. :thumbsup:

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Well I have just got off the phone for the fourth time this week over this and the guy on the other end said that the second digibox is still not able to call home.

There is no problem with the + box but the second box will require a visit from an engineer...at a cost of at least £65 :eek:

The other option I had was to cancel the second subscription.

They basically have me over a barrel with this one....is there ANY way of me proving that the box is OK and able to call home over the phone line other than Sky doing their thing? The reason I ask is because they could do this whenever they feel like it to multiroom customers...just send the letters, do all the checks and then tell people that their second box (which is out of warranty) is faulty and will need repairing or replacing at a cost to the customer...and voila it is fixed. :mad:

I am really annoyed about this now as the box works fine in every other respect and I am having no problems at all with it...it sees the telephone line and it sees it as busy when I am on the phone but Sky insists it has not called back since June of this year.

I now have just over one week to decide just how I want to be done over by Sky :(

7. LiFo

LiFo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yo Mac Ready,

Couple of points, that may seem a bit pateranising (spelling is weak at best) but just trying to help. :oops:

1st i take it, it say "telephone line connected" when you look at it in the service menu?

2nd If so are there any staples (or damage) through the data cable as this could create a short to stop the box from calling back correctly

3rd i take it is the same phone line.

If all that is checked, this might not apply to multi room but, if you have subscribed for over a year can't you pay £25 up front to be phone line exempt

LiFo

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Not patronising at all and any help with this is appreciated :thumbsup:

It is saying 'telephone line connected' and when I am on the phone the message says' Telephone line busy'. The person who I spoke to initially at Sky said this was a good indication that there was no problem with the box or line :confused:

There is no damage to the telephone cable but we have changed it just in case!

It is the same phone line that the Sky+ box runs through and that is not having a problem.

As part of the multi room contract we have to have both boxes connected to a phone line for the 12 months and , even though we do and they both seem to be working 100% OK, Sky say that the digibox is not calling home so they have a good excuse to make some extra cash without me being able to prove any different :mad:

9. LiFo

LiFo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hmmm oh dear.

Have you tried performing a manual call back, not sure this will do anything, although if it says call back failed at least it gives you piece of mind that sky arn't totally evil, and it isn't calling back.

services -> 4 -> 01 select -> new installation if you wanna have a go.

that is all i know for now

cheers Lifo

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just done the manual call back as part of the new installation set up...and guess what....it called back OK :rolleyes:

Just gave Sky technical :rotfl: a ring and the guy said that the box had indeed called back a few minutes earlier so the charges would not be applied.

I find it very odd that they have been trying to get the box to phone home since Wednesday without any luck and were all too ready to start charging me money to sort it out but after help from LiFo (thank LiFo :thumbsup: )I got it to call back on the first attempt :mad:

11. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Just for info, another way to check it is to use the "Interactive services" to order a pizza or whatever.

12. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I had similar problems regarding callback from my sky+ box and the subsequent letters :confused:

Sky eventually tracked it to the fact that my line was EX DIRECTORY!!

Now my sky box has the dialling prefix 1471 as part of the setup.

No Problems since :smashin:

This solution may help as well.

Del :smoke:

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some Sky boxes don't like ADSL lines. Some users have had to fit two ADSL filters in series to make them dial out.

14. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The ex directory thing was initially a problem on the + box as the installer had not put the 1470 in the prefix option but that got sorted straight away.

With regards to the ADSL filter, one of the people on the phone at Sky said this could be at fault but I said I had a filter on the line and that I had tried it with a different one to be sure...plus it had worked with this filter in place before we had the + box and the digibox was in the living room.

I am just glad that it is now sorted...allthough I still have my doubts that they will remove the charge before my next bill and I will probably have to spend hours on the phone trying to claim that back :rolleyes:

15. LiFo

LiFo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Glad i could help matey. i'll invoice soon hehe

16. jelockwood

jelockwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    While I can see why Sky require both boxes to be on a phone line (to prevent using the second box in a different house cheaper than a normal subscription), it does cause huge numbers of problems even to customers not trying to rip off Sky (as already discussed in this thread).

However I can see additional problems that would potentially affect people.

First, I have a telephone switchboard in my house (quite a lot of people do in London). This in itself is not a problem as I have confirmed it is possible to set the Sky boxes to dial 9 for an outside line. However I have two phone lines connected to my switchboard (other people may have even more). Therefore when dialling out it is possible different phone numbers will be used on different calls. As Sky are checking the number the call is from to verify the digibox is where it is supposed to be this could cause major problems.

While I have a switchboard (with two lines) I also know of people who have no phone lines at all (they instead just use a mobile phone). How do Sky deal with this situation?

Another problem is that the requirement to have the viewing card permenantly in a Sky digibox which is permenantly plugged in to a phone line. This defacto means you can only use a Sky digibox (or Sky+). This is because even though technically (if unofficially) it is possible to use a different satellite decoder to receive Sky broadcasts these other boxes do not know how to dial home.

In my case I would like to build a Windows Media Center system (Media Portal already supports DVB-S cards, hopefully Microsoft MCE will with the Windows Vista version). DVB-S cards can be bought which support using Dragon CAMs which with a genuine Sky viewing card can receive Sky broadcasts. For a single card system you would not need to plug in to a phone line but with two cards you would (and none of the Media Center applications know how to phone home).

Sky is potentially shooting themselves in the foot by being too restrictive. Some people will go for Freeview instead, others may consider Cable instead (I have not yet investigated whether the Cable companies have similar punitive restrictions). As far as I am aware in the USA such restrictions are almost unheard of (but I suspect will be increasing in the future).

Sky should also be aware that such restrictions may lead to someone developing a product designed just to get around it (officially to get round the above problems) however it may then lead to exactly what Sky was trying to avoid an increase in people deliberately abusing the Multi-room scheme. Sky need to look at better balancing their requirement to avoid fraud with customers needs for more flexibility.

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky insist that for Sky+ multi-room, you need both boxes connected to the same phone line. If you can't comply with that, you don't get the boxes, period. Sky are probably losing a few customers because of this, but maybe they figure they are loosing less than they would if they removed the requirement altogether, and then everybody rented their second box to their friends or neighbours, and Sky would lose income that way.

18. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yes but what a nice little scam they possibly have going in that they can send out the letters to multi room subscribers saying that they do not have both lines connected an dwill be charged unless they do so..and then when the customer calls they simply say there is a fault with the digibox and they will be charged to repair or replace it.

How many people do you think simply say "Oh, OK then" without wanting proof that there is a problem at their end rather than at Sky's ?

19. kevinsmith98

kevinsmith98
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am having an interesting conversation with Sky or is that $ky?

my second sky box is connected to a BT point, but because teh 2nd box is in a family room only used when my children visit on alternate weekends, the box + TV + DVD player etc etc are all switched off at the mains.

my box is connected to a BT point, in accordance with sky T&C's, but isnt switched on, so cant phone home. my T&C's say nothing about the box having to be switched on.

i am getting on my high horse with Sky on this point; you would be suprised the cost of kit in standby mode for a year!

i'll let you know how i get on.

20. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'd be very careful what you say, because I'd gamble that Sky have access to better lawyers than you. I have multi-room, and so do thousands of others, and I don't see people lining up on here to talk about Sky's "scam".

Your allegations are absurd.

21. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    We already know. You will lose. If you don't abide by the Terms and Conditions and allow both boxes to dial out at all times, Sky will simply debit the full amount (the price of two full subscriptions) from your account by direct debit. It has already happened to others, and it will happen to you.

22. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    No I don't. But with all the global warming business going bananas how much does it cost just to leave it on/standby (I read somewhere that on or standby makes little difference to the boxes power consumption)

23. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You don't work for Sky do you Nick because you seem to 'agree' with their practices just a little too much?

How can you say my allegations are absurd when they had no way of proving to me that the box was failing to call back other than their word on the other end of the phone and were all to willing to charge me because of this...but as soon as I did a manual call back it worked and I got lots of 'uurmm...ahh...err..yeees it seems to be OK now' on the other end of the phone?

Plus, I have proved that there was nothing wrong with my box and, had I not argued and sorted it out myself, I would have simply been charged for a second subscription or an engineer call out.

How can you say that is not a scam? There are literally thousands of people who fall for scam letters and phone calls every day that are blindingly obvious to some so how many people do you think will simply sucumb to SKy when they say that they have to pay for the second subscription or an engineer visit without argument?

24. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Oh, so predictable ! No I don't work for Sky, or anyone connected with Sky, and I never have !

I can't, but with millions of subscribers, I'm sure that any "scam" would be detected very quickly, and do you really think that Sky would risk their reputation just to make an extra few pounds ? Don't think so.

25. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    :rotfl: :rotfl: Calm down Nick...

Ok, maybe scam is too harsh a way to describe what happened. Maybe if we call it a bad working practice on Sky's side then you will agree?

Oh, and I don't think Sky have much of a reputation to risk when it comes to caring for it's exsisting customers or giving good support....a lot of threads on here will back that up!

Anyway, this thread was about my multiroom problem, that has now been sorted (by myself with help from on here...NOT by Sky at my cost!) and so I don't see why this should spiral out of control into a 'Love/Hate Sky' thread? :lease:

26. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Who's spiralling it out of control ? Not me.

You have had a minor technical problem with Sky, and based on that you are prepared to make all sorts of allegations. Maybe if you ran a company with nearly 8 million customers, you might agree that the occasional mistake could be made. To be honest, what you think of Sky makes no difference to me, but making allegations that you can't prove could make a difference to you.

27. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Nick, you are obviously looking out for my best interests and trying to stop me having my ar$e sued off by Sky....so thank you, and let's leave it at that shall we :rolleyes:

28. xxxx

xxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    AngelEyes: He is a great guy and changed the modems in both boxes ( + and normal ) and didn't charge at all.

The digibox modem is an integral part of the main board and cannot be changed outside of a specialist workshop. Even they will usually suggest a replacement box.

29. xxxx

xxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    While I have a switchboard (with two lines) I also know of people who have no phone lines at all (they instead just use a mobile phone). How do Sky deal with this situation?

Sky only check the phone connection for Multiroom subscriptions.

Anyone who has had Sky for more than 12 months (and doesn't have Multiroom) can disconect the phone connection anyway. It serves no useful purpose at all and Sky don't check it (apart from Multiroom subs).

30. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    Well I guess he lied to me and the digibox just magically connected of it's own accord. :)

Face? look? Bovvered?

As long as it works... I ain't bovvered.