Sky Channels

peterjf

Established Member
Reaction score
Things seem to have gone very quiet on the subject of the 'lost' Sky channels.

As the 30-day deadline that VM inposed before they were going to start taking action against Sky has now passed with no further news, has anyone heard what is going on?

Things seem to have gone very quiet on the subject of the 'lost' Sky channels.

As the 30-day deadline that VM inposed before they were going to start taking action against Sky has now passed with no further news, has anyone heard what is going on?

I was wondering the same myself.
The last thing I heard was that Virgin Media 'may' change their minds!
To be honest, I couldn't care less about the Sky channels, I'm very happy with the other channels plus the VOD!

Agree it has gone quiet. I search google news daily and before Easter there was something new everyday! Its all quiet now though, I hope Virgin haven't lost their bottle :confused:

Not sure if this has been said before but -

I just spoke to Virgin CS. The guy was really helpful etc with updating my tariff and i just happened to mention about an update on the whole Sky issue.

With regards to the Sky One saga - he stated that Sky only own the rights to the channel name. Virgin are bringing the programs on there (Simpsons, Lost etc) to their own channel. Call it Virgin One if you like. Now i do not know if there are exclusivity rights etc to be factored into this or the like but the idea in principle is a good one. If people could just purchase the channels then why dont they? Channel 4 could get all the new Simpsons etc. Is the only reason they don't because of cost or other reasons.

With regards to the Sky Sports/Movies PQ - he stated that Sky keep messing about with the signal strength which of course affects Virgin broadcast and makes Virgin customers unhappy. Again i'll take this with a pinch of salt but the thought had certainly crossed my mind before as a possibility.

The guy, while only being a CS agent, seemed well informed on the issues and at least had some sort of solution to hand - no matter how believable. At least he didnt feign ignorance.

I am currently with Sky (have a sky+ box) so i am no fanboy. That said he offered me a cracking deal for a V+ box and a std box upstairs for £25 installation and £10 a month. I phoned up Sky to see if they could give a comparable offer and they wanted to charge me £300 for a HD box OR £50 for a std box and a multiroom of charge on top of the £10 i pay for sky+.

I asked if they could offer a discount on the box and they said no - Sky sell their boxes and Virgin lease them - Hence virgin being able to offer them for free. Of course you can't use the Sky box for anything else... so thats great isnt it. :thumbsdow

I might just move back to Virgin TV (used to have it at my parents) - Sky's menus etc are alot quicker and easier to use in my experience (although i have not used Virgin/NTL for about 2 years) but the option of HD, two boxes and all that is very umm tempting.

Sky own exclusive rights to the programmes on their channel. Virgin may be able to secure them once the exclusive period is up but don't expect Sky's shows to be simulcast on both Sky One and Virgin One. More likely we'll some of Sky's American content made available via On Demand many months after being shown on Sky One... but don't expect any Fox content.

Posting on NThell forum is reporting that VM started legal proceedings this afternoon.

There's a link there to the VM press release.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6549541.stm

According to the report on the BBC Virgin were also offered Sky 3, Sky Arts and more importantly SKY HD channels as part of the deal. If thats true I am gutted as Sky Sports picture has gone downhill rapidly in the past few weeks.

We all know what Sky is like they are a big nasty multi national in a near monopoly position. However they do bring out new innovations constantly, while Virgin has from a weak position treated its own customers with contempt as they reduce their service, produce no alternatives, and worse of all trumpet on demand tv services when it is basically a collection of old tv series we seen two or more years ago.
HD content looks as though it will never happen and I must say the change with Sky movies has pi'ssed me of also.

A Sky spokesman added that throughout negotiations between the two, Sky had offered to include two more channels - Sky Three and Sky Arts - as well as an On Demand and High Definition service to Virgin for the increased fee.

id love to see the day that this happens lol

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom