Sky / channel 4 / E4 freezing during commercials

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Shady, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Chaps

Has anyone else experienced this problem...

Watching either Channel 4 or E4 through Sky Digital (not plus), the program you are watching will go to commercials, and then when returning to the program, will freeze with the last image displayed on the screen (usually a channel ident or trailer), but the sound continuing as normal.

Taped Hollyoaks Omnibus over the weekend, only to be greeted with 2 and a half hours of those two brown cartoon blokes who punch each other.

This has happened a number of times, but only on these two channels and only at the end of commercial breaks.

What could be going wrong ?

I don't know whether the fault lies with Sky or Channel / E4 - has anyone got a contact number / e-mail address to report this ? (although I am sure they will both blame each other...)

Cheers

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The only thing I can think of is the box is reacting to the w/s switching signal which may exist when moving from adverts (some of which may be in 4:3) back to the program.

Pure speculation I'm afraid:)
    Try turning off the scart control and setting the digibox to 4:3 and see how it reacts.

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get this on my digibox - its an amstrad. Haven't cared so much since I upgraded to sky plus tho. Only use it for freeview, so not taping anything off it and can just up/down to fix it. Hadn't noticed it was during ad breaks.

4. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the reply Starburst, but if it was the widescreen switching, would this not affect other channels.

As it is only Channel 4 / E4 (who have a working relationship), could this be linked ?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Maybe, I don't know exactly how the system works but I do know that aspect ratio switching does occur at the time you are having the problems so has to be considered:)
    Other channels of course do not broadcast in widescreen at all and some don't have adverts, some pillar box 4:3 into a 16:9 frame and SKY1 I think still does not broadcast all the adverts in widescreen (mind you I have SKY+ so don't watch adverts) so may not use any switching.