Sky Card Backup

S

Siswell

Having prevoiusly lost my Sky digital card on far too many occasions i've decided i really need to back the bugger up 'cos i just know i'm going to loose it again.
As such can anyone give me good advice as to how to go about doing this, read a lot about card programmers and the different kind of cards but have no idea what kind Sky use - so anyone care to enlighten me?

:D Cheers to all replies in advance

Siswell said:
Having prevoiusly lost my Sky digital card on far too many occasions i've decided i really need to back the bugger up 'cos i just know i'm going to loose it again.
As such can anyone give me good advice as to how to go about doing this, read a lot about card programmers and the different kind of cards but have no idea what kind Sky use - so anyone care to enlighten me?

:D Cheers to all replies in advance

How do you manage to lose your card?

I am intrigued.

Go on. Tell us.

There must be a good story in this.

Did you take it with you on your holidays for safe keeping and leave it on a beach somewhere? Or perhaps the dog managed to open the flap on the box and ate it? You needed it to prove your identity for a Mortgage and sent it off with your Bank Statements and your passport and you got everything else back except the card? Your neighbour had never seen one before so you thought you would take it out and show it to him - and he borrowed it to show his Mum but you haven't seen him or his Mum since? You moved house and took the card out for safe keeping but can't remember what safe place you put it in? It's your lucky card and you always take it with you when you play football because you always win when you have it with you - the last you can remember might have been when you were in the showers and you confused it with a bar of soap? Some australian aborigines identified it as being an ancient artifact worshipped by their tribe that had been stolen by evil europeans and they broke into you house one night, stole it and returned to Oz, where it is now the centre of a huge Sky Card worshiping cult?

Roger

Great reply, Roger :D

If anyone does know how to 'back up' a Sky card I don't think it would be very wise to discuss it on here.

For what it's worth, it must be possible. It is, after all, possible to 'back up' a Sky digibox. By that I mean create two identical digiboxes, same serial numbers etc., therefore allowing one viewing card to be used in both boxes.

I'm sure someone must have done it but in all probability any references to this dubious activity would be removed from t'internet (by Sky!) as soon as they appear. Don't forget, they read this sh*t too! :eek:

If this information hit the public domain, Sky would be in deep, deep sh*t. :clap:

I think Siswell's post is a very good talking point - don't knock him too much! :)

A. Dork

Arthur Dork said:
I'm sure someone must have done it but in all probability any references to this dubious activity would be removed from t'internet (by Sky!) as soon as they appear. Don't forget, they read this sh*t too! :eek:
If so, why don't they take heed of the criticism they get here and elsewhere?

Ooops made the mistake of thinking they were customer oriented! Sorry!

Arthur Dork said:
If this information hit the public domain, Sky would be in deep, deep sh*t. :clap:

Not necessarily. Sky have shown in the past that they are prepared to spend lots of money to fix security loopholes. Remember the scam on the old Sky analogue boxes, where they cut the 30V supply to prevent the card being written to (& switched off) ? Sky reportedly spent £1M developing a new card that generated its own programming voltage. Also, if a box is connected to a phone line, it can tell Sky all sorts of stuff when it "phones home" :eek:

Arthur Dork said:
I'm sure someone must have done it but in all probability any references to this dubious activity would be removed from t'internet ...

Too true. And don't they know it.. wasn't it rumoured that one of the reasons for the demise of ondigital was because someone (ahem) leaked the encryption algorithms onto the net?

How do you lose a card, that needs to be kept in the slot?

hmmmm new member with one post... no replies since....sounds sus to me :p

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom