Sky + capture using HCPC

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pcpaz, Aug 24, 2004.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard good things about the quality of capture using a Sky + box. I would like to replicate the same quality using a HCPC, anyone got ideas what's the best way to do this and what type of capture card to use.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY+ is a bitstream recorder so it's records exactly what is broadcast with no further decoding/encoding done. On playback the video/audio is converted to an analogue format and fed through the scart/s-video and RF links, those analogue links are the only straight forward way to capture SKY onto a HCPC.
    You could given a fair bit of cash modify a SKY+ version 1 with a SDI output and feed a SDI equipped PC card, I suppose that would be the very best picture quality you could get.

If you were only interested in the DTT channels then there are PC cards which will allow you to record the bitstream direct to the PC's hard drive thus giving you the quality you are after but this is not possible with SKY due to the encryption and security of the system.

3. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the Nebula digitv is as close as you're going to get to it without involving SKY. However, it's the program content that's the key factor here. SKY still requires a set-top-box.

Cheers
    Alex