Sky Captain

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Saw this last night (R1), the sets and effects were top notch, but sadly story and characterlisation was lacking big time. Hopefully a sequel would improve over it.
What did you think?.

rai

Is there a sequal planned?

Looking at the financial information on IMDB it looks like the film just broke even.

I would imagine this has the potential to be a great demo disc. How was the pq and sound?

Saw this at the pictures and have got to say I loved it. :thumbsup:

Highly recommended to any one who likes things like Indiana Jones, The Rocketeer, it's got the whole Saturday morning serial-thingy going for it :smashin:

About to write my review for this movie...and the soundtrack is nothing short of stonking. Enjoyed the movie too, though it's not without its flaws...

Tejstar said:
I would imagine this has the potential to be a great demo disc. How was the pq and sound?

The picture quality wasn't as good as I'd expected but that was mainly down to the stylised look of movie. The transfer is very good considering the source material. There are no visible artifacts or edge enhancement halos.

It's a very dark film with lots of over-blown contrast and dark shadows. The actors are in a soft focus with blurred edges which gives them kind of a glow. Originally, the movie was made in black and white and then colourized to give it a 1940s feel.

If you are looking for a DVD to test skin tones, this is not it.

GregHook said:
Is there a sequal planned?

Looking at the financial information on IMDB it looks like the film just broke even.

It bombed at the US box office taking $37m in its entire run. $100m is considered the benchmark for a hit movie.

A sequel looks unlikely.

Empire mag said, the cast was wooden, and the script did not help,

'Still, it can’t be easy acting opposite a blank canvas. Or Gwyneth Paltrow, as she’s otherwise known. For she’s spectacularly miscast here — whiny and stilted when she should be sassy, sexy, and all-action', see review here.

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/incinemas/ReviewInFull.asp?FID=10188

Someone also said, the picture looked also looked like if you was watching it through vaseline.

Regarding sequel, yes it bombed, but there is alot of potential in it, and a great script is needed, it must be hard for these kind off movies, as once actors have finished, 80% off the movie is probably done afterwards.

Smurfin said:
About to write my review for this movie...and the soundtrack is nothing short of stonking. Enjoyed the movie too, though it's not without its flaws...

Looking forward ot the review :thumbsup:

Smurfin said:

Matt,

a few folks over t'other side of the pond are saying that the LFE channel on this beats that of Master & Commander, and is in the same league as Das Boot, Titan AE, Nemo etc. Any comments on this?

juniper said:
a few folks over t'other side of the pond are saying that the LFE channel on this beats that of Master & Commander, and is in the same league as Das Boot, Titan AE, Nemo etc. Any comments on this?

If that's true then this is a must-have for me, even if the film has had mixed reviews :smashin:

Tejstar said:
If that's true then this is a must-have for me, even if the film has had mixed reviews :smashin:

You would buy a DVD just because it's got a lot of bass??? :eek:

juniper said:
Matt,

2 of those films are known and proved to have a boosted LFE channel in dts...

rosemanbridge said:
You would buy a DVD just because it's got a lot of bass??? :eek:

Not enough films utilise the LFE enough for my liking, loved the sound on Master & Commander (Finding Nemo was excellent too!)

Both of them are firm favourite demo discs. M&C has great steering of sound too though, it's probably the best I've heard on any dvd, especially the opening scene :)

Smurfin said:

i watched it on divx quite a while back and remembered thinking the robots stomping through the city should be an awesome workout for my sound system. when i get the dvd, I hope i'm not disappointed :D

i was,i stupidly bought the r3 from cdwow with its stereo soundtrack.:blush: :mad:

juniper said:
Matt,

The bass is unbelievable, my B&W seemed at times to threaten to dislodge my ceiling. Ok, exaggeration, but you get the picture :smashin:

My review will be posted this weekend:)

A point for those of us lucky to own EX systems...this movie was mixed with an EX track, so it's a better than average bet bet it's on the disc. If it's not flagged, manually engage your surround back speakers to enjoy this track in all it's extended glory...

raigraphixs said:
...as once actors have finished, 80% off the movie is probably done afterwards.

The other way around, apparently - I read somewhere that the guy had more or less finished the entire film minus actors and sent it to individual stars asking if they'd like to be in it. That has to be a first...

Smurfin said:
The bass is unbelievable, my B&W seemed at times to threaten to dislodge my ceiling. Ok, exaggeration, but you get the picture :smashin:

My review will be posted this weekend:)

Matt - is your review up yet? - been looking for it but canna' find it......

There is a DTS-ES R3 3-disc version on CDWOW now. See the thread in the Bargains section.

juniper said:
Matt - is your review up yet? - been looking for it but canna' find it......

No it's not up yet :blush: Still to write it, will try and do it tomorrow evening:)

Here's my review: -4 out of 10!!!

Utter crap! I got a headache from the editing after 15 mins, turned it off after about 30. I just couldn't watch any more rubbish in my home these days. Then I was so angry I spent £3.75 on this pile of pooh, I tried to take it out on my wife! However she had sat through the same 30 mins I did and bit my head off before I had a chance to duck! :rolleyes:

I've lost all my privileges to choose the next 10 films from Blockbusters for us to watch together. :(

Agree totally with those who said it was like looking through vaseline. Couldn't make out what the hell was going on or even why they bothered to make the film! Wooden acting, no story, zero continuity! :lease:

Forget this as a demo disk - you'll be so confused at what is going on that you'll forget to enjoy the (admittedly excellant) LFE.

Turkey! :thumbsdow

Obviously mixed opinions on this film big time, which is why I feel I must add my thoughts. I got a R3 dts version of this as a trade and have to say I genuinely enjoyed it. It was like a breath of fresh air in many respects and take my hat of to the actors and directors as it must have been (was!) a big gamble. I thought the image was great, a real challenge to try and recreate the 30's type atmosphere and the acting and special effects were very b&w flash gordon'esq with impressive use of todays available technologies. The story line races away with never a dull moment and as already mentioned the soundtrack in dts is superb. Ok extremely cheesy, yes, but sometimes isn't that what it's all about, letting your imagination run wild anything possible attitude? I can understand why some people would really detest this film but I suggest you give it a go and if, like me, you enjoy a good popcorn 'take ya brain out' sci-fi you'll find a blinder here that's definately not mainstream...I'll certainly be holding onto my copy and would welcome a sequel!!
For what it's worth, Andrew:)

Bloody loved it to bits.
Saw it at the cinema and I own the 6.1 R3 version.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom