Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

M

Master Rahl

I saw this tonight. I went in not expecting an oscar winner, but not a total piece of crap either. I was pleasantly surprised. I loved the entire alternate future thing. I also liked the "glow" from all the computer graphics, and the story was surprisingly good. On my scale:

5 - watch in theater
3 - rent the DVD
2 - wait for it on cable
1 - don't bother

I would give it a 4.

I like the looks of the giant robot from the trailers although the enemy planes do look very CGI. Are the sets very noticeable that they are CGI.

I watched this Friday night with my 9 year old nephew at the AMC
cinema in Downtown Disney LA.
Not knowing anything about the movie other than seeing a few clips
on tv, I didn't know what to expect.
I won't give anything away but I will say that my initial thoughts after
the film ended was what an excellent film. Never a dull moment for me.
Later, when I read a little more about how the film was made I couldn't
beleive what I was reading.
This movie shows just how far technology has improved in recent years
and some. But not only that, it's also very entertaining too imo.
Can't wait to see it again knowing now how it was made.
Btw, my nephew thought it was the best film he'd ever seen, bless him :laugh:

They deliberately put that "glowy" effect in. It gives a completely different atmosphere to the game.

I went to see this movie on Saturday night, here in Toronto. It really is a well done movie, yes you can notice the CGI but as someone mentioned about the 'glow', this does detract from the obvious CGI effect and adds a nice sepia effect. The whole feel of the movie is wonderful, very much like the old cliff-hangers from the 30's & 40's, even down to the very wooden acting by Gwyneth Paltrow!!

The only bad experience I had with this movie - the projector broke with about 30 mins left of the movie, and they never got it working again, so I have to go and see it all over again, which is well worth it just for the enormous sound stage. At least I got 2 free tickets for the next show. :thumbsup:

i was all set to check my local paper for showing times, till i saw where you men are located. First time i've ever noticed members from other countries on here - shows how observant i am :laugh:

Deansimm said:
First time i've ever noticed members from other countries on here - shows how observant i am :laugh:
I spotted bowenjones before. :D

Maybe its because I like dragons (note no referral to members of the family meant). :laugh:

Well, technically, Deansimm is correct. I am from a different Country -
even if it is only a step away :D
I happened to be on holiday over there at the time (or vacation for
those who would rather use that term ;) )
Thanks Garrett. Dragons are very misunderstood creatures - I've been
married to one for 12 years and I still don't understand her ways but she
can be quite caring and kind at times, usually just before she wants to go
shopping! Just don't cross them that's all :devil: :D

Just watched this and it's bad, so bad I stopped viewing after 1/2 hour.
Naff plot, naff acting, no sets, all green room + CGI

Gwyneth paltrow should have known better
angelina jolie has only been in cr@p movies lately

If you have ever seen Dick Tracy (with madonna), then this movie
is very similar in every way (but worse) If that's possible!

The glow also helps hide mushy badly lit and textured CG and helps disguise the completely unacceptable overly soft keys on the bluescreens.

The desaturated look of the film makes colour matching a non-issue its what bad compositors with inaccurate equipment do instead of properly matching elemts to each other.

talk about emporers new clothes it looks like a student film that someone's dragged through after effects.

You can hear the 'condensed' three minute version of Sky captain by the film crew - Mike nelson,Kevin murphy & Bill corbett of MST3K fame on this link.
http://ntcqw.url.cjb.net/

Well, I'm gonna check it out - Its CGI animated, looks very different and has gwyneth & angelina in it :)

DT

Just got back from the Premiere @ the Empire LS and must say I enjoyed it. I liked the whole "look" of the film (glow) and thouht the story was decent along with the CGI which at times was v.good. Best part of evening though was (unknowingly) standing next to Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow whilst they were being interviewed and being told by some guy to move my ASS coz half of me was in the shot :oops: :D :rotfl:

Oasis-GasPanic said:
... Best part of evening though was (unknowingly) standing next to Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow whilst they were being interviewed and being told by some guy to move my ASS coz half of me was in the shot :oops: :D :rotfl:
How rude. You should have used the immortal phrase, "Don't you know who I am?" then looked at the bloke's puzzlement :D :devil:

Ahem, to go back on topic, the film was reviewed by Wosser tonight on Film 2004 and he really liked it. Think I'll probably rent on DVD.

S.

I saw Film 2004 and some of the backgrounds looked totally fake like the bit where the 2 trucks are towing in a robot.

I too saw it on Film 2004 and agree with Garrett, backdrops looked totally fake, really FLAT and 'computer gamey'

I've seen better use of blue screen on the weather reports!
(I aint kidding)

Another experimantal flop like 'Final Fantasy' methinks.

Kevo said:
Another experimantal flop like 'Final Fantasy' methinks.

Well, FF was the first film of its kind, and SC certainly looks unique. I guess new/experimental techniques take a while to perfect. Do you think the designers/director intended the film to have a 2D comic-book look about it? I would certainly interpret it that way.

Oh, and you'll be glad to hear another FF movie is on its way out (japan only AFAIK) - Advent Children. No doubt you've pre-ordered the dvd ;)

Re they wanted an old comic book feel. They use to use in some old matinee serials animation to get special effects like Superman flying.

Mr.D said:
The glow also helps hide mushy badly lit and textured CG and helps disguise the completely unacceptable overly soft keys on the bluescreens.

The desaturated look of the film makes colour matching a non-issue its what bad compositors with inaccurate equipment do instead of properly matching elemts to each other.

talk about emporers new clothes it looks like a student film that someone's dragged through after effects.

Que?

Games Guru said:
Looks cheap, looks bad.

From what I saw last night Gwyneth Paltrow sounded like Lisa Kudrow/Phoebe of Friends in the role of Polly Perkins (from Paddington Green). :D

Bad VFX work having 70% of the colour sucked out to better hide the bad despills and poor colour matching. Then having a totally over-baked pro-mist type filter dolloped over it to blur out the poorly keyed mattes on all the bluescreen work and the low detailed and badly textured CG.

Then they turn round and claim its artistic intent.

Emporer's new clothes. They must have the same PR people as Russ Andrews.

Mr.D said:
Bad VFX work having 70% of the colour sucked out to better hide the bad despills and poor colour matching. Then having a totally over-baked pro-mist type filter dolloped over it to blur out the poorly keyed mattes on all the bluescreen work and the low detailed and badly textured CG.

Then they turn round and claim its artistic intent.

Emporer's new clothes. They must have the same PR people as Russ Andrews.

I bet you're good in a pub quiz! :D

Well I've seen it and think the effects are excellent. As you've seen, they're not photo-realistic, but with this movie that's not the point. They really enhance the mood and feel of the film.

Give it a look...you might be pleasantly suprised.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom