1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ capacity

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Eamo, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Eamo

Eamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.I live in the Rep.of Ireland.I am having Sky+ installed in 2 weeks.How do I know what box I am getting and the capacity of the internal hard drive.I have hear rumours of Sky isssuing boxes with very differing recording times or am I incorrect? Eamoundefined

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You will either get a PACE or Amstrad, the odds are on the Amstrad but it seems there are a few more PACE units in the supply chain atm.
    The standard SKY+ has a 40gig hard drive, based on variable bitrates used by broadcasters on the platform an average of 20 hours is given. It is quite possible depending upon the channel/programming to get 30+ hours or less than 10 hours.
    Of course if you are paying £399 you are getting the SKY+ 160 which quadruples the hard drive capacity and therefore the recording time.

Many people choose to upgrade the hard drive of the standard unit as soon as they get it, allowing for the opportunity to replace the original hard drive if a problem occurs and a warranty call out is required.

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi Eamo,

I had sky plus installed back in december... (still trying to get it working with multiple service calls but dont let that put you off :) ) The box i got was a pace... 40gb is the standard but i've ordered a 160gb hard disk from the uk which is working out at roughly 70 euro... so for 70 euro more your effectively getting a sky 160 box which they are charging the price of a small country for.. the upgrade seems simple enough - if you've ever messed around inside a pc then it should be no bother..

Cheers,
    Mick

4. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Many people choose to upgrade the hard drive of the standard unit as soon as they get it, allowing for the opportunity to replace the original hard drive if a problem occurs and a warranty call out is required.[/QUOTE]

I know that the pace box hard drive can be upgraded, but what about the Amstrad 40Gb box?

If so, do U know where to buy a larger hard drive from?
    :confused: